Wednesday, August 15, 2018

What's This


Good morning all!
Do you know what this is?


If you thought this was a
 tic ~ tac ~ toe
game.
W R O N G

This is the rare item I purchased
on the antique yard trail.



Now most of you have heard of the nursery rhyme

Little Miss Muffet
Sat on her tuffet.
Eating her curds and whey.

However do you know what curds and whey are?
Curds and whey are when milk starts to curdle.
Adding vinegar to milk speeds up the process.
Why would you want to do this Janice?

Once you have you curds and whey,
you can make 
C H E E S E

This object is a cheese ladder.



~ Back Side ~

Now you might ask.
What the heck is a cheese ladder.
This much used beauty was used to make cheese.



You start with a bowl.



Add the cheese ladder on top.
The next step would be to add cheesecloth
on top of the cheese ladder.
Then you would add the curds or whey.
The cheesecloth was there so that the
curds or whey would drain into the bowl.



Once the curds or whey were drained,
the final step would be to lay the cheese ladder
up as such, place the drained curds or whey
over the ladder to dry (age) the cheese.
Can you believe this was how cheese 
was made in earlier times?

Most cheese ladders look like mini ladders,
so this was a treat to find one the shape of this,
and with this patina.

Now although I will never make cheese with this,
I am sure the grands will want to play
TIC ~ TAC ~ TOE

(LOL)

Have you heard of cheese ladders?

Today is a vacation day from work.
Bob and I are headed off shortly to a few estate sales.
Then we are picking up the grands and my mom,
and headed to the island 
for our annual lunch outing.

Cheese ladder Blessings To All!
Janice






16 comments:

  1. What a neat find, Janice! I enjoyed your history lesson. I have heard of a cheese ladder but wasn’t sure how it was used. Have a wonderful day. Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori. I was over the moon when I saw this..and had to have it! Janice

      Delete
  2. Janice, that is certainly something special. I have never heard of one and I have been in a lot of antique shops over the years! Thanks for your visit to me. For whatever reason it didn't show up in my inbox (maybe it is too early) but I'm sorry if you thought I didn't see your comment. Hope you are having a great week..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NP Judy. Thanks for commenting on my blog too! Janice

      Delete
  3. I have not heard of a cheese ladder the only cheese my grandmother made was cottage cheese.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuck I hate cottage cheese. LOL But I am sure your grandmother loved hers. ;-) Janice

      Delete
  4. I would never have guessed what the item was. Its always fun to learn something new visiting your blog post. And even though you will never use it for what it was made for...I am like you...I enjoy pieces from the past!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you Sandra. I do try to make it interesting. Janice

      Delete
  5. Love the cheese ladder and your story Janice!
    Yes I did go on the US 12 sales for 2 days until money ran out but did find some great items to bring to Dawns show. 3 more weeks!!!!!!! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOOHOO cannot wait to see you and your goodies. We bought a dry sink the other day at a sale and before we could get it in the van, we sold it to someone else. Now that don't happen very often. Janice

      Delete
  6. I'm a WI native - never heard of cheese ladder, but we love our curds! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most cheese ladders look like mini wood ladders. This was an unusual one. Thanks for stopping by Jacky! Janice

      Delete
  7. Hi Janice,
    What a great purchase and an interesting story behind it! Have never heard of a cheese ladder before, but now I know what one actually is!! So happy you found some great purchases and looking forward to seeing them soon!! I still want to do a post about my benches after reading yours!!! xoxo
    Have a great week and happy your mom is doing so much better!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look forward to seeing your bench post! Tomorrow's post will feature my new cabinet (drysink). Janice

      Delete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.