Friday, March 9, 2018

Spring Bath Look


Thank you for loving our settle bench as much as we do!
As I stated before it is our kitchen table.
We have four 1800's chairs and two early 1900's one
that fit around it.
This is the first time I have made it into what it was used for.
In earlier days as I said in my last post,
these benches would have been near a fireplace. 
They would turn them into a table when eating,
and leave up when not in use in the Winter months.
It kept the heat in.

Before our roof started leaking,
I was contemplating how I would
decorate the home for Spring...
so wishing it would come soon. 

So much so that I have started
 to add some into the bath.
{Pre- leaky roof}


I added these bloomers to the left,
and hung up my black shoes.


These bloomers are special.
See that hole. The middle of these bloomers
have the opening for our foremothers 
to use the bathroom.
Because they had to wear so much clothing 
bloomers were a big
 convenience back in the day.
If you notice some of the early movies...
even Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, 
there is a scene where the woman are all in their bloomers.
However because they were dancing and singing,
they were not true to the time period...
their bloomers we not open in the middle.



Back to the bathroom.
I changed up each shelf in the cabinet Bob built.


Mirrors still the same.


Just added some early stockings.


Top shelf has a Spring bouquet 
in one of my favorite wood boxes.
I bought the doll from Ruth
whose house I featured a few posts ago.
I love her Ruth...still cannot believe you parted with her.


Soaps


Bottles, boric acid tin and shaving brushes.
The one on the left was my dad's.


More soap in a white crock bowl with a soap saver.
A soap saver was used to hold small pieces of soap.
Once there was enough,
it would be melted back down and shaped into a bar.
Bottle in back. 
{bottle label is a reproduction}


A hooked mat I purchased from a Dawn's store.
Holly Hills Primitives.
Bowl of dried orange peels and lamp complete this look.


I moved my flowers from the bedroom into here for now.


The bird carving is an egret.
These birds come back here in the Spring...
 stay until Autumn.
Still waiting for them to arrive.

I will be pulling more of my Spring decor
 down from the attic tomorrow morning.
Plans were changed to purge it out this weekend.
We now have a funeral to go to...
which is not fun.

My best friends mom passed.
I have known Peggy since I was 18 years old.
Almost 42 years.
 Please keep my friend Carmel in your thoughts.
She is not taking this very well.

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend!

Spring Bath Blessings To All!
Janice 


16 comments:

  1. As always, I learn something new from your posts. The story of bloomers is interesting and I never really knew how they all worked. How fun that you actually have a pair of real ones! Your bathroom decorations look great and I love all the old soap bars. Perfect for your new decor!

    Prayers for your friend Peggy for her loss. Being there on Saturday to support her will be a comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Winnie. My friend is holding up well so far. Janice

      Delete
  2. Hi Janice,
    Normally, I am not a fan of white, but your bath is so pretty and love your displays! I had to laugh when you talked about Seven Brides.....using the real thing would NOT have worked!! So very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend! Losing a mom is so very hard!!!
    Sending thoughts and prayers!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. The shiplap in our bath behind the white cabinet is actually a grayish green. I was not a fan of white myself, but with the black and white and gray green, it looks good. Janice

      Delete
  3. I have a one piece t-shirt like fabric underwear from my husbands grandma it also has the split in it .Love the soap and mirrors and Great displays again. Sorry for your friend and her loss and hope you can bring her comfort with memories.
    linda m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes longjohns have an opening in them too. Thank you for your kind comments about my friend. She is hanging in there. Janice

      Delete
  4. Your mirrors are so sweet.
    Hugs and prayers for your friend.
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual very beautiful and lovely!! always love your style..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the mirrors. We have such a tiny bathroom not much room for extra things.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! Hope you had a great weekend! Janice

      Delete
  7. Hello Janice...its been quite awhile since I've been on, but as always I do enjoy your posts! Great table scapes, always something new to see & love!
    Have a great Sunday! Hugs Marg 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by Marg. Every time I see Janet I ask about you. Hope all is well. Janice

      Delete
  8. Praying for your friend with her loss. So sad. Your bath decor is precious. The bloomers info is so true. Times were different back then. I especially love those black shoes. How old are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danice! The black shoes are Victorian..mid 1800's high top ones. Janice

      Delete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.