Thursday, May 2, 2024

Spring Mantles

 Hello friends!
Since we are in full swing of Spring now,
I wanted to share my two Spring mantles with you.
With two mantles now, 
I can go in different directions with my displays.





A  more Primitive look.





A Colonial look for this one.
My home is filled 80% with antiques.
The other 20% I like to be whimsical.
I dont want my home to be a museum.
I want it to feel homey and comfy.

In other news,
Saundra asked about the hooked pattern
in Lori's book
Autumn at Notforgotten Farm.


Here is the picture of that rug.

Lauren asked me what method I use to stitch.
I have always used the stab method.
All these years, it still works for me.
I did try the other one and no way...
it was slower for me.
Guess sometimes you just cannot teach an old dog
new tricks. LOL

Also in other news,
the marsh I drive though to and from work
is alive now with activity.
This 845 acres is the largest freshwater marsh
east of the Mississippi.
My drive through it is a mile long 
with water on both sides.
Unfortunately it is illegal to stop anywhere,
otherwise I would do so and take pictures.
The egrets, swans and herons are back
from their Winter vacation.
The muskrats can be found alongside the roadway
foraging for food and also swimming.
I saw a Coot yesterday.
They are a species of black duck.
The lily pads are sprouting out soon to flower.
No turtles yet, but am sure I will see them soon.
Spring is finally here in my part of Michigan.
WOOHOO

Spring Blessings To All!
Janice





11 comments:

  1. Both of your spring mantles are peaceful and calming. I love the balance you achieved in the first one and the whimsy in the second is delightful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it fun seeing the birds and critters back? I wish your spot had a turn off nearby! i love the bunnies. I put away MOST of mine, but can't bear to tuck them all away. It's lovely and I appreciate the whimsy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw my first turtle the other day while pulling weeds. It was quite unexpected and I tucked the 2" toddler turtle back under some dirt at the same spot. Thanks for showing the hooked Lori mat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet that freshwater marsh is beautiful. It’s a shame they don’t have a lookout section to stop. Then again, people can be so thoughtless when it comes to them taking a selfie on protected lands. We have that issue when our poppies bloom. They go off trail and trample other wildflowers just for that picture.

    I think your home is very nice the way you decorate. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the whimsical bunny - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both mantels are wonderful Janice. I swear you have the very best blue ware! I'd love to see the marsh come to life, but I'm betting the critters so close can make the drive through there a bit challenging at time. Our sandhill cranes are back and I hear them all the time but they manage to hide themselves well it seems....and yesterday I saw a mama bear and her two cubs on the way to my appt yesterday. So things are waking up here in Nod as well. Well, and, as you know, the wabbits are multiplying at an alarming pace. We've had a LOT of rain too this past week and a half or so. So, perhaps, I'll have my own marsh soon too. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like all your displays, Janice. Your house looks, indeed, "homey and comfy" as you wish, and as we appreciate.
    Spring is bringing back the flora and fauna typical to the area, and enliving the surrounding scenery. That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love your mantles Your bunny print is darling.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you do have a gift...the mantels looks great, you always give me ideas I can try here. I love antiques and thinking about the stories they can tell...but I remember one gal visiting who looked at my less-than-perfect old wooden grocery box in the kitchen (I keep potatoes in it) and just tilting her head and giving it as look as if to say, "Why would you keep that old thing?" Sigh...your home does look warm, inviting, and comfy...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything looks wonderful as usual,you have a talented eye for putting things together. Your stitchery is beautiful too. Spring certainly is springing up. I was hoping water levels would drop even further but if the rain doesn't stop it will be a little higher than last year. The ground is so saturated. Thanks for sharing your art.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy seeing coots. :-) I think their name is fun too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.