Sunday, April 28, 2024

Sunday Starts

Hello friends.
What devastation the tornadoes brought 
to the Midwest.
My thoughts and prayers to all those affected.



A while back, I purchased this book 
from Notforgotten Farm.
There are a few cross stitch projects,
and a hooked rug I would like to do in this one.
Lori has an Etsy shop if you are interested.

 

The first cross stitch project I chose was called
Turkey Trot.


Am stitching this on 30 ct Old Salem.
Using the called for DMC floss.


I also purchased some floss drops
because I have a few Thanksgiving projects
I would like to do eventually.


This is my start on turkey trot.
I so love the mottled look for this linen.
Am not a fan of a lot of mottled linen,
but thought this one would 
be nice with the floss colors. 
Am loving this mustard house.
If you can enlarge my pic,
you can see how I count my border stitches.
Instead of using counting pins,
I just do a half stitch, and then every 
10 stitches I make a full cross stitch.
If the border pattern starts with 9 stitches,
then 9 is my first full cross stitch...
then I continue on with 10.
By doing this it helps knowing if I am 
on track with the pattern.
Being a leftie, I also like to start in either 
the upper or lower left of any project.



My next project is my lunch one now
since finishing Love Always.
I chose this pattern because it reminds me 
of a coverlet that I already own.
Pattern by Summer House Stitch Works.


There are only three DMC colors for this one.
924- Blue
420- Gold
I opted for 3778-Salmon 
instead of Terra Cotta 758 which was the called for. 



My progress thus far.
Am stitching this one on 32 count
 White Belfast linen.
I loved this pattern so much
that  decided to purchase the remaining
three seasons which also look like coverlets.
Once I start the others, I may also change
up colors a bit to match my own decor.
That's the beauty of these patterns.
You can change up color floss and fabric,
to make it look altogether different.

Finally my next Valentine project.
This one is called Cupid's Sampler
by With Thy Needle and Thread.


A smaller sampler for Valentine's
since finishing Love Always.


This piece of linen is 28 ct Wren.
I had originally started this on 32 ct wren,
but could not see the holes during the day...
which sucked, so I changed it.


I also changed my needle.
I spent a few hours on this and 
started the wing of Cupid.
Again going from top left to right.
I like shorter needles as I can stitch faster.
Also love this cute puppy needle minder.

In other news,
Bob and I were talking about what we might
do once retired.
He said he was going to be an old man
and just lay around....yeah right.
If you know him he cannot just lay around.
I on the other hand told him I wanted
to just work on my crafts everyday and
get back into gardening.

I did have a chat with my boss last week
on me retiring.
She first told me I could not retire, take
any more vacations, or sick days.
We started laughing.
Then she said can you work at least 2 more years?
She really does like me and I am her #1.
So we chatted and I realized in 2026 I would
be eligible for a 6 week sabbatical where the bank 
would pay me to be off.
I can retire right after that.
So if all goes as planned, my retirement will
be in February of 2026.
20 months seems like a long time,
but it is already almost May now.
I think the time will fly by.
This year already is.

Looks like we are on tap for some wet weather
for the next few days.
I dont mind, but do hate sever storms.

My SIL is home now,
however she is confused and still has memory loss.
My brother is home from work taking
care of her currently.
Just sucks this happened to her.

Going to make some breakfast now.
Sunday Blessings To All!
Janice


 







8 comments:

  1. I've never done cross stitch and will never start, lol. But I love that Spring Awakens sampler. What is the hooked pattern in Lori's booklet? Could be she also sells that individually. Or maybe it is something I have from one of her other booklets I purchased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that turkey trot cross-stitch! You did an excellent job on it.
    Retirement: Hold on. Feb 2026 will be here fast! Seems when we started counting down, we blinked and it was here! My husband officially retired back in Dec 2019. We had plans and then Covid and the pandemic. It was crazy times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many wonderful starts. You must be a fast stitcher to accomplish so much. Do you use the sewing method or the stab method like I do?
    Prayers that your s-i-l continues to improve.
    20 months sounds like a long time. Day by day it will seem like it will never get there...then suddenly, you are there! And be prepared...after you retire you will be busier than ever and time will fly by even more quickly ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be a super fast stitcher! Every post shows more and more -- and so beautifully done! I find I'm busier in retirement than I was working, just satisfying busy. (And a little lazing out, too!). I'm glad your sister is home and that she has support at hand. This is really tough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More wonderful starts! I really love Turkey Trot. I don't decorate for Thanksgiving anymore (heck, I barely decorate for other major seasons of late) so usually don't stitch turkeys and such...but this one is so sweet and I love it every time I see it I might just have to do it at some point. Also love the cupid.... We're wet and soggy here too...but I will take it over yesterday's horrendous winds. I'm glad to hear your sil is home and praying her memories find their way back to her. I'm sure the time between now and retirement will seem like forever but all of a sudden it will be there. Can't pass up that sabbatical! Great benefit! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe how quickly your projects wrap up...I LOVE the colors you're using, and each one looks like it's been handed down through the years. Perfect for your home! Happy to hear your sister in law is home, I hope her memories come back as she gets stronger and heals. Take care...where did the weekend go?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a prolific cross stitcher. Beautiful pieces.
    I hope that your SIL will recover quickly.

    Two years will go quickly because you are always so busy.

    I saw the devastation from the tornados in the midwest. So heartbreaking to see the devastation.

    Stay safe, hugs.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your cross stitch patterns and they way you keep track of how many stitches !
    Your retirement day will be here before you know it ! And you can enjoy your crafts even more !!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.