Monday, May 6, 2024

A Work In Progress

 Hello my friends.
Let's play what is this antique.


Any ideas what this could be?
I purchased this years ago from a friend
who owns a primitive antique store.
When I say years...probably 10 years now.
I always knew which room it would be hung,
just not sure exactly where until now. 



It is hand forged and very heavy.
Clue Number 1: It would have been used in
a general store in the 1800's to hang a certain 
item for sale. 
Clue number 2: It would have involved horses.
Clue Number 3: Jockeys use these in a shorter form
in horse races today.


I decided to finally hang it from the ceiling
in our keeping room as I planned all along.
For those who may have guessed 
a buggy crop whip display, you would be correct.
This piece held horse whips that were for sale.


My intention was never to hang whips from this.
I wanted to hang candles.
I only have three sets currently, 
so will need to purchase more.


Our ceiling on this side is 11 feet and fits perfectly 
in the corner here now.
My next decision is to figure out what to add
to these two walls.
Plus a display on top.
I sure hope it does not take another 10 years. LOL
Looking at this picture, I may also need
 to paint the switch plates.
Your thoughts?

In other news,
looks like we may need a new stove.
I was going to re-heat some chicken nachos
last night that I made on Saturday.
The oven would not heat.
UGH
Bob has to work the store today,
but says he might be able to fix it on Tuesday.
If not, will be purchasing a new one.

I started weeding my front flower garden
Saturday morning.
Since having to work the gift shop,
Bob did the gardens.
Now I have the time, so it will be my job again.
Am out of practice though.
Was only out there for 2 hours and decided
enough was enough. 
Not use to physical labor anymore.
Need to get back to it next weekend.

Well its Monday and have to drive into work.
Hope you all have a marvelous week!

Work In Progress Blessings To All!
Janice





10 comments:

  1. Good morning Janice! I thought I'd better start visiting my blog buddies before too much time passes. I read your previous post and doing mantles is always a head scratcher for me. I love yours and maybe can take a few cues on how to do the two I have. When it's a holiday, no problem but in-between is my struggle at times. I would never have guessed that antique but I like the candles and think I would like seeing that more than whips hanging! I'm doing some moving of flowers bed plants to redo our front walk area. Like you I'm not enjoying the hard labor required. Hopefully when it's done it will look good but be easier to maintain. Have a good Monday, even if at work. I would be so tempted to stop quickly and take pics of that water area near you. Sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Monday Janice... Oh, I love that display piece! I would love to see it filled with whips like it would have been "then," - bet it was a real statement. But I agree, not for a display in your home LOL. Candles are a great idea. I'd use it as an herb drying rack - except none of my ceilings are tall enough except the living room and then I'd never reach it. I think I'd likely opt to change the light switchplate covers...to blend with the walls. Either that or paint them the color of your trim/doors. In my house, I'd have so much "stuff" on top of the cabinet you likely wouldn't even see them. ;-) Have fun decorating! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Monday, I am catching up... I love the display and I always like learning from you.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting piece ! I don't live far from the town in Westfield ,Mass that is famous for making horse whips . They even have a museum and still make whips . You wouldn't want to hang those in your house though ....candles or even baskets would look prettier hanging from it !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your antique! I would never have guessed what it was, but it's perfect for candles.
    So sorry about the stove!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen such an antique before. You came up with a great way to display your candles and I think it would make a great herb or flower dryer.

    Sorry about the stove, nothing last long these days. It's so annoying.
    Take care,
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. How interesting the horse whip holder is and what a clever idea you have for the candles. I hope your stove can be repaired Wishing you a happy Mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My guess was that it was used to hang candles, so I guess I am sort of correct...lol!
    Ugh on the stove!!!
    I would tone down the switch plate covers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking to hang something, but buggy whips did not enter my mind. I like the candles hanging from it. And I *really* like that corner cabinet.
    I vote to paint the switch covers. Or replace them with a lighter color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The display will be great with candles....I never would have guessed what it is! Good luck on the stove...why is it always something? Sigh...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.