Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Can You Say Score!!!


Well at least that's how I feel.
Hello friends.
I am so excited to show you what
I found for myself on the trail.


This original red painted painted pantry box.
Complete with a bale handle.


It is hand stamped NH
which means it came from New Hampshire.
I cannot make out the rest of the stamps.


Then another pantry box.
This one in grayish tan...more like a greige color.


My stack is growing.
The new red and greige one are in the middle.



All on top of my cabinet in the kitchen.


Am loving my growing collection.


Next is this Dollie Washer.
Made in the Victorian era, these were to
help wash clothes.
You would place your clothes in a wash tub.
Place your dollie washer 
in and turn using the handle.
It was the first agitating washer...
all by hand.


Hand pegged.


With all of the legs notched in to the base.


Finally my wood Noggin.
This is an early 18th century wood mug.
Any wood cup or mug from 
this era was called a noggin.


Can you imagine drinking your rum from this?
Well back in the day they did.
I cannot even imagine how they would 
have carved this,
however such a cool piece!

Hope you enjoyed peeking at my new finds.
Like I said...I know I scored big time with these!

Not sure yet where I will place my
dollie washer and noggin... but will
figure it out soon.

Do you have any of these pieces at your own home?
Do you have anything from the 18th century?

Scored Me Some Blessings To All!
Janice





25 comments:

  1. the big maker of those boxes in this state was the shakers so I wonder if it says Canterbury NH
    good finds.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Cathy. I will try in the daylight to see if it says that. Janice

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Rose. Am so in love with all that I got! Janice

      Delete
  3. I will admit I'm a bit "jelly" over your pantry boxes...wow! No, I don't have any of those items. I've never heard of a wood cup called a "noggin" I've heard "I'm going to knock you in your noggin" and thought it had something to do with hitting your head. However, it could have to do with like "cheers" or hitting cups together. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knock you in the noggin does mean hitting your head. Thanks for your sweet comment. Love that you are "jelly" over my finds. Will have to remember that word! Janice

      Delete
  4. Great score! No, don't have any of those things. How about taking a piece of paper, lay over the stamped area and make an etching using the side of a pencil or piece of charcoal. Don't know if it would reveal words but worth a a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea Saundra! Will do that this weekend when I have more time. Thanks for the tip...never thought of doing that. Janice

      Delete
  5. Hi Janice,
    Yes, you sure did score, my friend!! LOVE the pantry boxes and I do collect them, too!! Was going to suggest the same as Saundra about the stamped area! Hope that works!! I collect old baskets and wooden bowls, candle molds and anything else I can find that pulls at my heartstrings!!! Love it all!!!
    Have a great week, my friend!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my friend! I will try what Saundra said and see what I can come up with and let all know. I have so many wooden bowls that I think Bob would hate me if I bought another one in the house. LOL I do cherish tall of my treasures! Janice

      Delete
  6. You're scoring big time! Isn't that a wonderful feeling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a great feeling knowing I have something old...especially the 1700's noggin. Every time I look at it, I wonder who may have used it. Janice

      Delete
  7. All of the pieces are just wonderful! I love your cabinet and your collections! I have a vintage dishware, glassware and antique linen shop that I run here on the farm. I do not have pieces as old as yours........but love the looks of these wonderful handmade items. It is amazing at how people used things way back then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes back i the day they were not collections...but used every day. Your farm shop sounds wonderful! Janice

      Delete
  8. I have a vintage dishware, glassware and antique linen shop that I run here on the farm. I do not have pieces as old as yours........but love the looks of these wonderful handmade items. It is amazing at how people used things way back then! Your cabinet is just precious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is also Frye's Measure Mill that makes shaker boxes in New Hampshire.....I have a very old measure of there's , that is stamped too . I believe they are still in business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will take a piece of paper and do a rub with a pencil as Saundra suggested to see if I can find a maker and let everyone know. Thanks for your comment. Maybe it is a Frye. Janice

      Delete
  10. Thank you very much! I do try and let others know sometimes what I have as I know many have not seen or have some of the items I have. I so enjoy history and love sharing it. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes Krishna it was an amazing find! Thanks for stopping by! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great finds. I am happy to hear you are keeping them.
    I think the only 18th century pieces I have are Leeds featheredge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cool to have something from the 18th century! They are so hard to find. My noggin makes 4 for me. Will need to show a post of them one day. Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.