Thursday, May 9, 2019

If Doors Could Talk


My first home was an old farmhouse. 


[Now a bedroom door]

I opened and closed many times in my 100 years.


[Now another bedroom door]

However I was left abandoned.


[Now a bathroom door]

What will be my fate?


[Now a linen closet door]

What became of me?


[Now a closet door]

If these 100 year old doors could talk.
What would they say?
Would they say thank you for saving me?
Do they enjoy being used again?

So glad Bob rescued these from
an abandoned farmhouse
which was to be torn town.
You do not find doors like these anymore.
Solid wood doors with character.
Each one was painted this old white.
I LOVE them all!

Do you have old doors in your home?

Well we are under flood warnings here again.
Bob said the other day the water was right
up to the road going through the marsh.
Which is a bit scary because there is water 
on both sides of the road normally.
With the rising water this road may wash out.
It is South of us, 
but one of the few major roads
 to get in and out.

Normally it is a pretty drive,
with all of the wildlife around.
Not now though.
Scary to think it may be under water.

Old Door Blessings To All!
Janice





11 comments:

  1. My house was built in 1940. I still have all the solid wood, 6 panel doors and many of them have what I am assuming are the original skeleton keys. So cool.
    Prayers that the flood waters begin to recede.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janice,
    Fun post and I'm sure they are all saying...."Shut the front door!" Sorry!! Just couldn't resist!!!!
    Actually they would have much to say and have kept many secrets over the years! Truly treasures you both have preserved!!
    So sorry to hear about your flooding and pray the water will not flood the road!!
    Take care and stay safe, my friend!!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Wish we did know their secrets. More rain and more homes South of us flooding. Janice

      Delete
  3. So hope the water doesn't get any worse. I love the door but the only old one I have is one from a barn and it is in the garage. I am "saving" it for when I have a big ol' house ha ha. I wish I could get to it to make a picture, maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all such wonderful old doors...love each and every one of them. I wish we did have old doors like that...especially admire the painted ones. Our house is only about 40 years old, but our doors were all handmade by the guy who built the house and from whom we purchased it. When we added on, I wanted continuity so you wouldn’t know where the new portions began, so we had another craftsman handmake identical doors. I hope the flooding in your area has receded since when you posted. We’ve had more than our fair share of rain, but it is not as bad as a few weeks ago when the “great melt” began. Happy FriYay Janice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin. Rained more with more homes flooding. They are telling us now that the reason for the higher river level is because of Lake Superior and they are releasing the water through the locks so that lake does not flood homes up there....so our level is higher. Janice

      Delete
  5. Sorry you are under a flood warning ~ we get those a lot here in lower Delaware. Unfortunately there is still a huge amount of water in the back part of my property with more rain to come this weekend. Definitely will have DNRC stop by and spray for mosquitos.

    Love the door story and think should be grateful someone appreciates the sturdiness of the construction and the history it has seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob always says we grow mosquitos big out here. We are surrounded by water an marshes. so they are a common thing here. Chase us in at dusk. Janice

      Delete
  6. We absolutely love them! Hope they are here for another 100. Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.