Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Talking Tea

Rather a teapot.


This is a special teapot.
Notice the tin handle.


It is a hand painted beauty.


At one time the handle broke off.
The owner must have cherished her teapot.


How I know this is because
a handle was re-created out of tin.
The tin bands wrap around both the top
and bottom of the teapot,
which holds the handle in place.


Now I know this is not a primitive piece,
but I wanted to show you this.
China was not cheap in the 1800's,
so adding a tin handle was a way of 
extending the life of one.

The only other tin handled item I have seen
in person was at 
the Greenfield Village museum.
It was a salt glazed stoneware pitcher. 

Have you ever seen a tin pitcher or teapot?

I will feature this teapot once again
for my February CupboardScape.

Off to work I go.
Snowing now, changing to freezing rain.
UGH.

So tired of Winter...
but so did enjoy the snow moon yesterday morn.
As the moon was setting, the sky was purplish blue.
The tips of all the trees were frost white.
It was a spectacular picture which I did not take.

Happy Hump Day my friends!

Talking Tea Blessings To All!
Janice





19 comments:

  1. I have that teapot and thought it was a repair. I wish we were more frugal now days
    I hope you are safe in the bad weather we are in for it tonight
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a throw away society now. Hope you stay safe with the incoming storm. Janice

      Delete
  2. Such a cool old repair!!!
    Our winter has been much easier than yours but I still long for spring. Only 28 more days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when I see things that have been given an extension to their lives...like this teapot. I've not seen this. However, I have seen wooden wares repaired with old coffee tins and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have seen repairs on woodenware too! Not now as it is a throw away society! Janice

      Delete
  4. Oh I love it and it looks like Pink Lusterware
    I have seen and old teapot with tin handle and even plates with staples, like you said people fixed everything and used it their entire lives, not like today
    I would love to fins one sometime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont know much about china so thanks for letting me know that it is lusterware. I may be selling this, so let me know if you would like it. Janice

      Delete
  5. That is beautiful teapot. Stay warm and safe. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Krishna. So done with snow, sleet and freezing rain. Getting stir crazy for Spring. Janice

      Delete
  6. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very handsome repair it is! Yes, I am weary of this winter as well. We got another dumping today...not sure exactly how much (forecast was for 7-11”)...we get a reprieve tomorrow and then 3 more days of snow and another major storm (12+” they say) on Tuesday. We are running out of places to put it!!! Hope you are safe and warm.... Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW. If it snows any more in Nod you may not dig out until Summer. YIKES!!! Stay safe my friend. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh, I do love that red beautiful teapot! There are many painted delicate details too. What a beautiful treasure to enjoy!

    Brrr, stay warm and safe. It was 80 here today and it feels almost like early Summer. To that I say..Yikes!! there is more than enough time to get into another long Summer!! We like to never chase off Summer 2018!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes the teapot was a find. Definitely an odd old piece. I would like some 60 degree weather. Higher temps and it gets humid. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Janice, that is such a gorgeous tea pot. I love that a tin handle was added, and the pot was just not relegated to a flower pitcher. I thank you for your visit and want you to know that I did leave an answer on my blog. For some reason, I am not getting anyone's comments in the inbox..Happy Weekend..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Judy! I never get anyone's comments either anymore, that's why I reply back on my posts. Hope you have a great weekend! Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.