Thursday, April 12, 2012

April 15, 1912

I'm sure most of you know what this date means.
For those who do not,
100 years ago the Titanic sank in the Atlantic Ocean.

Bob and I purchased this first edition book
on a recent pick we went on.
When I first picked up the book,
chills went all over me,
because I knew this book was written the year the mighty ship sank.

It was the only authoritative book written
constructed from the real facts of those who survived.
I'm getting chills again just writing about this.
The picture on the left is the captain.

Copyright 1912 by L.T. Myers

Dedication

To the 1635 souls who were lost with the
ill-fated Titanic, and especially to those
heroic men, who instead of trying to
save themselves, stood aside that women
and children might have their chance; of
each of them let it be written, as it was
written of a Greater One---
"He Died that Others might Live"

I want to read this book, but I know
it will make me cry.

On another note,
one of our local museums
"The Henry Ford"
in Dearborn, Michigan
currently has the Titanic Exhibition
In this exhibit there is a replica of the grand staircase,
replicas of state rooms and actual artifacts taken from
the Titanic.
It will be on exhibit from now until September.
Bob and I are planning on going one day soon.

Please take a moment to remember those who lost their lives
"on the unsinkable ship"
 as the captain had stated
 before sailing on that fateful cruise.

Blessings to all
Janice








7 comments:

  1. Hi Janice,great find,nice old book, wonderful read. I would shed a tear to, so many peaple lost at sea,sad. Hugs Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janice,
    Great find! My husband and I went to a Titanic exhibition several years ago and it was haunting. They recreated the wooden deck with all the stars twinkling in the night sky...you could take a stroll...just as the passengers did that very night. Well worth seeing!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing find Janice....but actually, the Titanic sank on April 14/15th....Right? (I think it struck the iceberg around 11:40 on 4/14 and sank within several hours early on 4/15)......Not nitpicking, but just curious if you have other info. The Titanic history is fascinating to me. It represents so much more than just the sinking of a ship if one thinks about it. And if you ever want to part with that book, please let me know....Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were right on the date o wise crow that you are...I did a major typo for such a trajic event that happened. Thanks for pointng that out for me..I have since corrected the date.

      Delete
  4. I cry every time I watch the movie ~ couldn't imagine how sad the book would be ~ I'm sure it's more detailed than the movie. Such a wonderful find ~ I love old books!!!
    Prim Blessings
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great find, Janice! I love old books anyway but that's an awesome one! Rob and I are definitely going to hit the HF museum for the exhibit. I love going there and to the Village, too! Have you ever gone for their 4th of July patriotic concert and fire works? SO much fun! We may pop over that way this weekend - I hope you'll be around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Janice, what a treasure. My Daughter is OBSSESSED - O-B-S-S-E-S-S-E-D with everything Titanic. She has watched the James Cameron movie about 50 times! I might have to try to save some money and take her to that exhibit. Thanks so much for posting about it! ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.