Saturday, August 10, 2024

Our Shadow Kitty

 

Hello friends.


It is with great sadness that I write this post.
Our beloved Shadow kitty 
crossed the rainbow bridge last month.

My co-worker had a wild cat that she started
to feed because she felt bad for her.
Turns out she was pregnant and had 4 kittens.
She had found the kittens in one of her shrubs.
The wild mama was starting to get tamed 
so she was going to keep her and let her stay inside.
We grabbed all of the kittens outside when they were
big enough to take from their mama.
I took one gray one home.
We did not know what to call him.
It was our granddaughter Mikayla
who said you should call him Shadow,
because he follows Peeps (our other kitty at the time)
around like he was his shadow.
A perfect name!


He was very much a wild kitty.
The one story I have,
was when we had a mouse in our house.
The two adult cats at the time ran that mouse
underneath a cupboard in our kitchen
waiting for it to come out.
Here comes little Shadow and gets under that 
cupboard and brings out that mouse
growling at the other two cats coming out.
Bob and I laughed, but knew we had to get that
mouse from him, which Bob did once he killed it.




When he grew up,
Bob had made an outside catio for all of the cats.
He then got so use to being inside, he was
afraid to go outside.
It took about a month for him to actually go outside
and enjoy it like our other two cats.






Here he is with his buddy Ace
 who passed two years ago.



He was definitely Bob's cat more than mine.
He was always snuggling up to Bob
when he was around.
Shadow was 11.
He had diabetes and his kidneys were
starting to fail back in May.
We had him on all kinds of medicines.
We tried our best as pet parents,
but alas he passed away in our bedroom.
I had already left for work that day
when Bob found him.

I still cry when thinking about him.
It is so sad to lose a family member...
and our pets surely are a member of our family.

We decided no more pets.
Tundra will be our last one.

In other news,
I did fairly well on the antique trail.
Will show what I brought home 
in an upcoming post...
once I get everything organized.

It was picture perfect weather this year.
Not to hot or cold or rainy.
Bob did well the first day at the store with outside sales.
Our antique store did great.
Hopefully the next two days will be just as good.
Remember to shop small business wherever you live.
I know we do when we can.

Pet Blessings To All!
Janice




14 comments:

  1. I’m sorry to hear this about Shadow. I know that feeling of losing a beloved animal companion. Both Susie the cat and Laydee are almost 11 - just 6 mos apart. We dread the day when we’ll have to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm deeply sorry to hear about Shadow. It's so hard -- that final farewell to a dear pet and Shadow had a story. You miss them terribly. Shadow was beautiful. Sending love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very sorry to read of Shadow's passing. Yes, they are family and so heartbreaking to lose.
    Shadow looked just like our work cat, Sam (when I had a day job...lol!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sorry about the passing of your fur family member. our pets are so special. when we moved to the lake house we brought miss calico with us. she was an outdoor kitty and was with us for many many years. we would not leave her behind but she never really settled in here at the lake. she was very old over 15 years we think. she was attacked by wild dogs so heartbreaking. we said the same we are too old now to have another fur pet as it would not be fair to the kitty or dog at our ages now

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to read about Shadow's passing. What a nice tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry. Our last cat was 13 when she passed and it was still so hard. They do become part of the family.
    You gave Shadow a good life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart hurts for you and Bob Janice... So very sorry. Shadow looks so much like my Trouble Baby... It's been many years since he passed and yet I still miss him terribly...as I do each and every one I've had to say goodbye to. Hoping your find comfort in memories of him. Sending furry hugs.... ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is always painful to have a beloved pet pass, shame they cannot live throughout our lifetime. I had a dog named Shadow and then when my last dog Ben died I decided no more pets. It's wonderful when we have them but a horrible loss when they leave us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry about Shadow's loss! Sending you hugs of love and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Janice! I am SO soy to hear about sweet Shadow...They are always going to be with us, no matter where they are!
    I swore no more kitties but our Miss Kitty just wandered into our lives...God knows what He's doing...lol
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Janice, sending a big HUG.
    Lots of Love,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Janice I’m so sorry to hear this - I know how sad you are and how hard it is. They are such a part of our family - I still miss Azzie and feel sad. Time helps, but we never forget. Which I think is good - we don’t want to forget those sweet souls that were such an important part of our lives. And I do believe we’ll see them again. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry for your loss. Yes, our pets are family. I've never been a cat person but rescued a skinny gray cat we named Squeak right after moving here. We had her 14 years and I cried like a baby when she passed. We never got another cat but I sure miss the way Squeak kept the chipmunk and squirrel population at bay! Annabelle will be our last dog. Everyone laughs when I say that since I've said it about the last 3 dogs we rescued over the years! But I'm older and wiser now! I'll look forward to seeing your treasures! Take care Janice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.