Sunday, February 4, 2024

Sunday Starts

Good morning Friends.
Well I have a few more starts for you today.

    

                                                   Starting with Potted Plant.


                              A sad start, but at least a start.
                                         Hooked the border.
                                I apologize for the wrinkles.
                           I usually roll up my hooked projects,
                                but somehow it got mixed in 
                                     with my wool this time.
                                                     GRRR


I used a blue and white houndstooth wool.


I do like how this border turned out.
 


Winter Saltboxes is my go to take to work project.
I can stitch this at lunch.


My start on this one.
I dont think this will be completed by Winter's end,
but will continue to stitch until Spring.
I purchased all of the Saltbox seasons.
Stitching this on 36 ct Bramble Edinburgh 
using all called for 
Weeks Dye Work and Classis Colorworks floss.
All except for the snow.
Am using Weeks Grits for all of the white.
It shows up better on this fabric.


Finally this last one I started January 13th.
It is a freebie from La-D-Da.
You can find it on her website.

This one is called Smell My Feet.


My one evening start on this one.
Stitching on 32 ct Ale.
(Much darker linen in person)
I will continue to stitch this one on
evenings of the 13th and last day of each month.
Would like to turn this one into a pillow.
I  did choose my own colors for this one. 

In other news,
Vintage Keepsakes blog asked me if I would
recommend a linen for someone who has not had 
a lot of experience in cross stitch.
I started off with 14 ct Aida. 
Back then Aida only came in white,
but now it comes in oodles of colors.
Personally I prefer linen over Aida as it is
a much softer fabric.
14 count means 14 stitches per inch.
If you use 28 ct one over two, you will get the same 
size in your project.
With Aida you should use 2 strands of floss.
One over two means you skip a hole & go to the next one.
I believe linen goes up to 56 ct now.
I cannot see the holes past 36 ct.
My sweet spots are 32 or 36 ct linen.
Hope this helps.
Hobby Lobby or Joann carries Aida.
I purchase my linen online.

Sue Swank asked if I have any special tools
or lights.
I can see in the daylight to stitch.
At night I use my Ott light.
These can also be purchased at Joann's or Hobby Lobby.
I did purchase some Q snap frames,
but to be honest I have gone back to the
tried and true old wooden hoops.
The Q snap ripped my fabric on the big Halloween
one and thankfully it is not near where I will
be stitching any of the blocks.

Mary from Windy Meadows Farm
also remembered Woolworths store.
I also remember that one too.
Are we dating ourselves Mary?

Tonight we are taking my stepdaughter
and her husband out to dinner for her birthday.
Bob's cousin and wife will be joining us.
Will be dining at a BBQ restaurant.
Our first time here, but heard it was a good place.

Well off to make breakfast and then stitch.
Have a marvelous Sunday my friends
doing what makes you happy.

Sunday Blessings To All!
Janice







15 comments:

  1. Good morning, you have many lovely projects going. my Mom hooked allot of rugs back in the '50s and'60's she bought wool clothes from rumage sales and then took them apart-felted them down-dyed and cut in very fine strips-back then they used narrow strips. I have her cutters. I never was good with emroidery projects but I have done a few simple ones on cotton and made into pillows. Happy new week

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool you'll work on the Halloween themed stitchery on the 13th and last day of month. Already gives it the spooky feel with the date of 13. The hooking project already framed with the border. You're making more headway on projects than me PLUS you work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your Stepdaugher!
    Have a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the winter saltboxes. You do good work in spite of the wrinkles

    ReplyDelete
  5. You accomplish so much in so little time Janice. Fun new projects though. I have had the La d da project pulled for a couple of years now already but haven't decided on the linen so I always pick up something else instead. You're the second person I have heard say a Qsnap has torn their fabric. I've used them for years and have never had an issue. I did notice an uncomfortable snugness though when working on a printed linen in 32 count. It just was so much thicker than my normal linens so I guess I can see where it's possible. Enjoy your dinner out - sounds like fun! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember when aida only came in white too. I do like the linen.
    I love what you're working on! The smell my feet is cute! And that hooked project intrigues me. That's not something I've seen other than the old hooked rug kits.
    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rug border is looking great. It's a good idea to hook it first.

    I love your salt-box cross stitch and I could never cross stitch on a 32 count. I crossed stitched on a 14 count and it was hard on the eyes. A 32 or 36 count would make my eye balls pop out of their sockets. lol...

    Happy Birthday to your step-daughter.
    Take care, hugs.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those saltbox homes are adorable! Except for my apartment years I've always lived in a cape cod home. However, I've always loved the look of a saltbox. You had me at "Smell My Feet"! That's a super treat! All your stitching is coming along well and I'm sure it's a good stress reliever. Happy Sunday to you Janice!000000000

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your hooking project ! Lots of nice cross stich patterns too . Have Fun !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of projects to keep you busy. Love the salt boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How do you accomplish so much while still working full time and helping to run a store? I need a time management lesson from you!
    All wonderful projects!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You amaze me, you are so creative and gifted. Thank you for sharing all your amazing projects.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  13. Janice, I can't believe you can see that size. Young eyes! Even when I could see good I couldn't do over 14! And I do remember Woolworth's. My grandmother used to take me to lunch there when I was very little. Talk about dating myself! Love the houndtooth check border..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your stitching projects are lovely and...enviable!
    Glad for the good time at the birthday party thrown for your stepdaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so so busy - it keeps us young, right? And no we’re not dating ourselves remembering Woolworth - ha ha the last one closed in the 90”s I believe. I never tell my age - let people guess! Your projects look terrific - a great way to spend these winter days. Hope it’s a good week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.