Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Whippy Wednesday

 
Hello my friends!
Whippy Wednesday is my term
for Works In Progress (WIPS)
I stitch most evenings whilst watching tv.
It is relaxing to me after working all day...
and driving an hour each way to work.
So after dinner I stitch in my comfy chair
with my Ott light next to me.

I started cross stitching when I was 13.
Gramma B took my sister and I to the
Five and Dime in the nearest town.
She purchased a stamped cross stitch project
for me while she bought my sister a kit to make
hot pads with the loops.
I was hooked once she taught me what to do.
Whenever she went back to that store
or Ben Franklin's, she would get me a new
project and my sister more loops.
My sister was only 8 at that time.
We spent the summer months with both
of my gramma's.
Half of the time at each. 
I loved spending time with each gramma,
as I learned so much from both of them.

Did a family member teach you something?



Here are my WIP's.
This first sampler I am stitching is for
gramma B who taught me cross stitch.


Two of three large motifs are completed now.



Also the dog and bird.
I love how the red pops against this mottled linen.



I also finished my third block
on Halloween at Hawk Run Hollow.
I left the moon for last.
Outlined it first after the stitches were 
complete all around and then
 it was mindless stitching. 


Three down.
Nine more to go.
Well, one block is actually 2 blocks in one,
but when I get to that one, will do half at a time.

Finally, my little progress on
Little Pear Tree.
This is the one I wanted to finish as an ornament
for my tree last year.


I finished the large bird on the  lower left.
Also finished the tiny bird.
I quit again when I realized there is an error
in the bottom left leaf.
Must frog it and start again. UGH
For those not familiar with the frog term.
You have to RIP IT it out...kinda sounds like a frog
when you say it lots of times. 

In other news....
I made a plan for my stitching now.
Caught the bug to cross stitch again,
and am loving it!
Purchased many patterns in the last
four months...and linen.
My plan is to work on seasonal patterns monthly.
Certain days dedicated for certain ones.
I will continue to stitch on
Halloween at Hawk Run Hollow,
but stitch on my sampler(s) on Sundays.
It sounds like a bit much right,
but I needed a plan to start with.
Things may change...who knows.
Will start this in February, and I already know
which ones I plan on starting.


We also finally got some significant snow.
I was at work yesterday when it start.
Two hours later the ground was covered.
My boss knows I have a long commute
and has always told me I could leave
 whenever I wanted to.
At 11:00 I decided to drive back home,
It took me an hour and a half,
but if I had left at rush hour....who knows
how long it would have took me.
It was pretty looking out the window.
I only wish I had been at home,
curled up with a hot chocolate watching it fall.

Speaking of work,
have to get ready and drive back in.

Whippy Wednesday Blessings To All!
Janice









15 comments:

  1. Good morning, I enjoyed your post with speciall memories with your Grandma;s I never learned how to cross stitch except for those pieces that are made with x's I learned allot about cooking with my farm girl Grandma and also allot about farm live-which I have always loved. my other Grandma was much older but she still made money as a seamstress. She suffered with polio as a young women but still raised her 5 children.
    I remember those long work commutes-so nice of your boss to let you drive home early-I worked as an operator with the phone co and long commutes too-when the weather was bad Iwas stuck there-so just worked lots of overtime.
    stay safe and warm hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing your cross stitch. It's so special that your Grandma taught you.
    My aunt taught me embroidery when I was young.
    We got just a dusting of snow this time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cross stitch pieces are beautiful. I can no longer see well enough to work on the tiny linen. Do you have any special tools or lights you use??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, both of my grandmas taught me, more by their actions - an example of loving, giving, ministry, temperance - I couldn't sit still long enough to learn to knit, but my Grandma R tried....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cross stitch pieces are all beautiful. You are so organized. No wonder you do as much as you do, run the shops and work away from home as well, always so creative. You put me to shame.

    It's sunny here this morning but the thermometer is down to -23 C. = -9.4 F. The temperature fluctuate every other day.
    Stay safe and well.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to do counted cross stitching. I like to have a few different projects going so I can pick what I feel like doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so incredibly impressed with how quickly you stitch! Yikes!! I feel like a slug when I compare what others like you accomplish compared to what I do. I love all of your projects but, of course, Halloween at Hawk Run Hollow is my very favorite. I have wanted to stitch that one for a long, long, time...but it is soooo stitch intensive. Don't know if my attention span would last that long. We've not had snow in a while....I'm afraid to look at the forecast now that I said that as I am enjoying the no-snow thing...but it has been glum and gloomy. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your stitching is so pretty and since I don't do that craft I'm super impressed! Of course you know I love the Halloween one and I also love it's name, Hawk Run Hollow! I might have to rename our Creepy Woods that! I'm glad you made it home safe and I really hate driving into work or home on a bad weather day. We've only had a couple this year. That's when I question why I returned to work after having retired. But it's only a couple of days a week and so far I still enjoy it. Take care and stitch on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just adore all your cross stitch pieces.
    You are a FAST stitcher!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to Love going to Ben Franklins too ....it was a great store . My Mother gave me a printed cross stich pattern when I was about 7 , she wanted me to finish it so much , but I finally got to that when I was 11 ! When we both got into it in the early 80's she reminded me how it would have been more special if I had dated the finish when i was 7 ! LOL
    Your patterns looks wonderful . There are so many great patterns out there , but my eyes just can't do it any more .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Janice, I don't envy you the drives into work but guess somebody has to do it! I love all kinds of needlework and have done some pieces myself, but my eyes aren't as good now so would like to find a good system to magnify so I could start again. I love the little squares for Christmas..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sadly I didn't know any of my grandmas ; they were dead before I was born. It's a real 'hole' in my life.
    Your stitching work is lovely!
    As for your commute to work, my father was asked to continue for a while his work after retirement. The doctor opposed because of his daily commute (he was not driving, just sitting on the bus seat) She said the commute is bad for any health issue one might have at this age. We were quite surprised about that. She recommended only walking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed your memories about your Granny's.
    Your work is lovely.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have been busy busy, but I think those are perfect projects for winter time and such sweet memories. Ben Franklin – I remember those from years ago and also a little Woolworth store – things have certainly changed Send some of the snow our way! – this is not winter, it was 50° yesterday and I was almost tempted to do yardwork until I had to stop myself saying it’s only February! Enjoy the weekend, hope you’re settled into your new space.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your cross stitched pieces. The red is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.