Friday, July 28, 2023

I Found Some

Hello friends.
Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.
We have had some wicked weather come
in lately and I am not fond of it.

Remember when I first posted about my
circa 1700's courting candle.


For those new to my blog,
these candle holders were placed in the 
parlor or drawing room.
Folklore states that a father would set
the candle for when he wanted his daughters
suitor to leave.
Just remember candles were highly expensive
 in this time period, so we are not
exactly sure this was the exact purpose of these candles.
Tales over the years have made mention
this was their intended use, but no factual
truth to this have I been able to find.  
In the antique world we all call these courting candles.
Now when I purchased this one, the candle
that was included was not one that would move
up and down.
It was too thick.


For a long time I searched daily on both Ebay and Etsy
trying to find the correct candles.
I knew these would need to be replicas.


Voila...success finally on Etsy.
Set of seven including shipping cost me $22.50
for this set of 7.
$3.21 per candle.
I knew it was a bit pricey,
but what the heck...just cannot go to the 
dollar store to get these. LOL




Was not sure if I could find them any cheaper
if I scoured the internet anymore
so I purchased them.
I placed one further down the shaft.
Now I can lower and raise this candle.
The others I tucked away in my desk.
Too bad my daughter is grown...
I may have used this when she was dating. LOL

In other news.

Thank you for your wonderful comments
 on our guest room.
My mom will be surprised today
when she comes in for the weekend.

Bob and I celebrated our wedding anniversary
this week and we went out for a steak dinner.

Am getting the urge to start decorating for Autumn.
The days are now getting shorter and Fall 
is my favorite time of year.
My Halloween orders have been coming in
steady at the gift shop now.
Am getting excited to redo the store
into a fall and Halloween place to be.
14 days for the opening.
I have one more week of work and then
 the following week I transform the store.
Mom and I also go on our yearly antique jaunt
later in that week.
She no longer gets out of the car on my stops,
but at least she still goes with me.
We talk and eat out and it is a fun 2 days.

Have been furiously finishing up my
crocheted pumpkins for this year.
Each one had two color combinations.
Will show later in an upcoming post.

Well my friends,
I hope you all have a fantastic weekend.

Friday Blessings To All!
Janice












13 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the courting candle. Glad you could find those candles. The price is not bad considering how much you enjoy it. The bedroom looks great. Your Mum will be pleased. Could you share what color/company you used on the walls? And the color you painted over. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that candle holder and I think the candles to go in it were worth the cost!
    I have no desire to decorate for Fall. I hate seeing the days get shorted and will be hanging on to Summer as long as I can. :)
    Have a fun time with your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, I enjoyed the story about these courting candles. I buy allot on etsy when they have what I need or I when I am looking for something new-and it supports small business.
    I am soooo ready for fall too-we have been stuck with high humidity and high temps for weeks on end. Fall is my favorite time of year. Happy Anniversary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info on courting candles, I had no idea. Am definitely ready for October but not snow or Christmas, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I had no idea that those were courting candles. I bet the idea caught on big time in the old days. lol...

    I'm enjoying the summer days as I'm not a friend of the cold but I find that summer is going by way to fast. I would like to slowing down a bit. Maybe, it's me that should slow down, lol...

    Enjoy your mom's visit.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Storms yesterday today very hot. I had head that before. Glad you found the candles that work.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    I enjoyed the story of the courting candles and I am glad you just did it with purchasing the candles for it.
    Enjoy the time with your mom, I am looking forward to hearing about your time together.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad you found candles that fit...and I love the idea of shooing out the young man when the time is up! An antique jaunt sounds wonderful...hope the weather is good for you. Can't wait to see what discoveries you find!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your time with your Mom. I sure miss mine. I know she'll love the redo room to stay in. I'm with you when it comes to Autumn and Halloween. I was going to buy that maid/witch last year but they were sold out...I should have taken a trip to your store! I'll look forward to all the treasures you'll find antiquing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you found the perfect candles. The courting candlestick I have takes a thicker candle. Perhaps the owner had a desire to see his daughters out of the house so had a candlestick to give the wooer all the time he needed?? LOL) Have fun with your mum! Please let us know what she thought of the redo! Wicked storm here now. We needed the rain desperately...but not the hail or winds. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  11. lOur weather HAS been odd, hasn't it? So glad you found those one candlesticks. They're really pretty. And have fun with mom, if she's still there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lucky you still have mom!!!
    Happy belated anniversary ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.