Saturday, June 10, 2023

Its Dandy Time

Well folks,
it is 4:15 Saturday morning.
In about a half hour Tundra and I will
go to the hospital to pick Bob up
from his sleep apnea test.
Hopefully he will be fitted with the correct
machine so he can sleep better at night.
He has been so run down in the afternoons.

So let's get to today's post.
I do not mind having dandelions in my yard.
In fact it is the first flower (weed) that provides bees
both pollen and nectar.
Since bees are important to me,
so the dandys are important to me as well.
 

As a kid I loved blowing on the puffy seeds.


Before I show off my dandys again this year,
This wood piece is called a hornbeam.
Hornbeams were hollowed out vessels made from trees.
These were used as storage.
Mine is not very big,
But I have seen some very large ones.
These larger ones are really old because it is very 
hard to find large diameter trees any longer.


Underneath my hornbeam is this rug chair pad.
I love the muted colors and the star design.


A blue white quilt resides on my bench for Spring.


The dandy display is on my wood riser.


Dandys are a perfect Spring display.
So remember if you can, please leave them
in your yard. 
Our bees need all the help they can get.


I caught a few dandy's in my back yard.


Also as a kid,  I would pick the flowers
and proudly give them as a bouquet
 to both my gramma's and mom.
My hands would turn yellow too.


While some see a weed,
others see a flower.
Take for example Queen-Anne's-Lace.
We call it wild carrot and a weed.

The bumblebees have been prevalent
in our backyard now.
So much so that Tundra
 grabbed one in his mouth,
and quickly let it go. 
Did he learn hid lesson?
No, he still tries to get more.


For those not familiar with Dandelions,
the above pic shows the flower before going to seed
which is when it becomes puffy.

In other news,
Robin wants to trade me some 
Eastern Fox snakes and Massasauga rattlers
for my Ribbon snake. 
Well we also have these Fox snakes that like to
 hang out in our garage.
Yes they are humungous.
They are protected here in Michigan.
So Robin, thanks but no thanks.
Never have seen a rattler here except for the zoo,
and I would like to keep it that way.

The other day I did have a chipmunk chirp at me.
I was outside and heard this chirping sound
on the ground near our garage.
Turned my head to find this chipmunk looking
at me chirping about 4 ft away.
He chirped for about 5 minutes before
scurrying into the woods.
Never heard this before so not sure if he/ she
thought I was the predator, or there was another
one nearby....namely a fox snake.

Our local radio weather forecast 
for the past few days has been
mostly sunny with periods of smoke.
We have had hazy skies because of the
Canadian wildfires, but not as bad as
New York and Pennsylvania.

Well hope everyone enjoys their weekend!
What will your plans be?
Later today I will be going to our yearly
community meeting.
Sunday working the gift shop.


Dandy Blessings To All!
Janice

9 comments:

  1. Love that chair pad and just might (one day) try to replicate it. My yard certainly has its share of dandelions and I've thought of pulling the yellow flower and dying wool with them as I've seen others do. But so far they have continued to go thru the lifecyle like previous years and 'bee' there for the beezzzzz. Hope Bob's sleeping improves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hornbeam is quite an interesting item! I love dandelions and greatly appreciate their contribution to health benefits (through health supplements).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of a hornbeam. It looks like a round slab of wood to me. It is a container of some sort?

    I don't blame you for not wanting to trade snakes, as much as I love Robin the Crank Crow... I'm not fond of snakes of any kind, lol...

    Dandelion, we have more dandelions in the yard, the fields and the whole city grounds are full of them since they banned spraying a certain herbicide. To minimize their spread in my flowerbeds, I've been picking the fluffy heads but by evening they are all fluffy again. I'm loosing the battle but I've reduced the spread because I've picked countless buckets of fluffy seed heads.
    The forecast said rain for today but the sun came out. Yah!
    Enjoy your dandelions
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. My five year old grandson brings me fistfuls of dandelions. We passed a yard in desperate need of mowing, he said, "oh! Look at all the wishes". It's all perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, bummer on my exchange offer. 🤣 Ahhh... I've always loved hornbeams but only have 1 and it is smaller t han yours I believe. The large ones are amazing! We had a bumper crop of dandelions this year. I remember growing up my sister making dandelion wine. I hope Bob finds some relief. I know the toll not sleeping can take on a person. Hoping you have a dandy weekend. 😉 ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope Bob gets some relief from his sleep issues.
    Sweet vignette as always. What a fun hooked mat. And of course Robin has a hornbeam...lol!
    I remember picking dandelions at my grandma's house when I was about 5 and going door to door to sell them. If memory serves me correctly, someone did buy a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your pretty old chair pad !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    Please let us know how Bob is doing. I pray he gets some answers.
    I remember picking dandelions for my mom and grandma too. Sweet memories... thank you for bringing them back to me today.
    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. That chipmunk chirping is so annoying! they do it alot here. I aways love your decorating. and dandelions are fun. Good luck to your husband.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.