Sunday, October 16, 2022

Seems Like Yesterday

Hello my friends!
I hope today finds you healthy, wealthy and wise.
Do you remember that saying.
It as part of Early To Bed, Early To Rise.
Makes A Man Healthy, Wealthy And Wise.

The other day working the store
our doggie sitter came in to look
at my Halloween room one last time.
He was so amazed at my talent for putting
together this room for all of the holidays.
He made me feel really good,
saying it takes great talent to do this.
He knows I was an art major,
who changed my degree into a business one. 

It got me thinking at the past three years
of my Halloween mantel displays,
and how each year turned out.
Behind the scenes mistakes will be told here now too.
Yes there were mistakes. LOL


Year 2020
We had opened our gift shop in March.
Two weeks later we ended up closing
for a few months due to the pandemic.
We were wondering then, what were we thinking
starting another business.

For these bats I had cut each one using cardstock.
I purchased this so called double sided tape
from Amazon to hang the bats.
Little did I know when removing them,
it also removed the paint from the walls.
Thankful for Bob for the touch up.
If not for him, we would have polka dot walls. LOL


2021
Last year I decided to do a
witch and witchcraft themed mantel.
I created the fire by adding real logs
like I was building a bonfire.
Then I added gold lights with a white
netting on top.
Skeleton heads were in the kettle.
In person it looked pretty realistic.
I did so well on the fire, that I had no idea
what to place on the mantel,
not to mention on the wall.
Bob had this wood frame at the other store
and brought it over.
He suggested adding the black silhouette 
witch on top. 
However then the galvanized witches
 got lost against the gray walls.
Adding the green lights above added the perfect touch.
The black netting was also an after thought.
Along with the wood star I put together on the fly.


2022
Well this year I went all out.
The man in the middle was very terrifying.
So much so I never turned him on.
Figured it would scare our customers too much.
As part of my Haunted Hotel theme.
I purchased skeleton lace from Joann's
to mimic wallpaper.
The velvet drape was supposed to go above
the man, however dufuss me cut the fabric
in the wrong direction...
I was not going to go out and buy more velvet fabric.
I decided to hand sew the 2 pieces back together,
and re-cut the correct way...
which caused a redo in my plan.
 I had to hide my seam behind the man.
No one other Bob and I knew of my mistake.
Bob also helped me with this scene with his
concierge desk...which he built before his stroke.

There you have it.
My blunders...bloopers revealed.

Which mantel display is your favorite?
Pretty sure Robin will say she liked the Salem blocks.
 I created those and and were sold already.

I have no clue yet what my theme will be for next year.
Unfortunately I need to decide pretty quick
if I want the inventory to come in on time.


In other news,
look what finally bloomed.
Well just one flower.
I planted these sky blue Morning Glory seeds
early this Spring.
They grew like a weeds with no flowers,
even though I did plant in full sun.

Bob's MRI report came back.
He still has blood in his brain
which has not fully dissipated yet.
The neurologist is now saying 3 to 6 more months.
He now has to take a baby aspirin per day.

Also he now has his glasses.
These are suppose to help with his 
peripheral vision loss. He now has to wear them
while watching tv and reading so as not to
strain his eyes. We also hope this helps.

Yesterday was the first day I worked after
setting up the back room for my Nordic Christmas.
I have already had many compliments,
and things are already selling.
Will set up the remaining Christmas starting
after I close today.
Am sure it will take me days and I am on
vacation now so that will help.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of your weekend.

Seems Like Yesterday Blessings To All!
Janice

 
   
















 

12 comments:

  1. By far 2022 is my favorite! BTW, it is suggested that folks take .81 mg of aspirin anyway. I take it daily and haven't had a stroke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For my home, I'd prefer the 2020 one. Not as much going on in one spot. That's not to say I don't like many of the items from 2021 & 2022. It's just a lot all at once for my taste. In your shop, fantastic, as people need to see options to get them to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeny, meeny, miney, moe...I just can't decide which I like best. (LOL! I had to look up how that was spelled.)
    Prayers for you and Bob. I'm sure that is very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humm... my honest opinion depends on my own personal taste and not a reflection of anyone else's taste. I like 2022 better although, it's a bit more crowded (but I understand that it's a store and not a house and people need choices of course and you need to display as much merchandise as is possible in the space available) and simply because I'm not a lover of neon colored decor as in 2021. The Halloween merchandise is great. I always feel awkward giving my reasons for picking sides. lol...

    I hope with a little more time, Bob will be completely healed.
    Hugs & Prayers
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the haunted hotel and I think it will be hard to top that next year but you'll come up with a winner I'm sure! Hard to think Christmas but we're suppose to see some snow flakes in the air this week so maybe not so hard after all! Enjoy you vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janice! Oooh, 2022 does it for me - Super spooky! You are definitely one talented lady. I definitely remember (and use!) the healthy, wealthy and wise saying. Praying for Bob's health and hope each day brings him closer to healing. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've put your art background to good use, Janice! I love it all and it's all so clever. I know you'll have just as wonderful a display next year. I'm sorry about the MRI but glad they are on top of it. That time will fly, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. no worries about bloopers - goodness, we all make them, and honestly, no one will notice but you! I love that you have an art degree, mine is design...now I can see why you pull things together so beautifully! And funny about the morning glories...I planted them one year on a garden teepee for the kids and they took over everywhere - I haven't planted them since. Enjoy the week! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. All your Halloween themed displays are very creative but my favorite scene is not pictured. It was the bedsprings hanging from the ceiling with skeletons sitting at it like a table. You always have such creative displays. I had hoped to get in before you changed displays. Your creative side overcomes the bloopers. Hope to get in soon

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is hard for me to choose a favorite Halloween display.
    Each year is unique, I like that in your creativity.
    I did not plant morning glories this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. Thank you for the report on Bob, continuing to pray.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's obvious that art and business are your thing. Hopefully , Bob gets better soon, and the two of you will turn the antique store into a big success.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.