Saturday, November 23, 2019

What Did You Do Now


I so love the yummy colors of
red, white and blue.
When I was deciding what to create
for my bedroom colonial look,
I naturally thought of stockings.
Then I thought, why not make them from
antique coverlet pieces.


Now I would never cut up an antique one,
but found these pieces all on Ebay.


These pieces all had the center seam,
so all are very old indeed.


Now even though I would not cut up
an antique coverlet,
one of our vendors did...and when I found
out awhile ago that she did
I simply cringed.
It was a red and white 
early one in perfect condition.
She cut it up and made heart pillows out of it.
Although the pillows were cute,
I still would not have done that.


I have no idea if these Ebay sellers did the same,
but hoping they did not.


I worked on these at work.
This one is red with blue on one side.


While the reverse is blue with red.


Now for some history on stockings.
Stockings were an important part of Colonial dress.
They were knee high in length for both women and men.
Although everyone wore them
men's stockings were called leggings or spatterdashes.

Girls were expected to learn how to knit
stockings when they turned 4 years of age.
School was taught at home then.
Girls learned how to run a household.
Boys were taught what their fathers did.
At 14 children were considered to be an adult.


My granddaughter is 14.
I cannot even imagine her being considered
an adult...but the fact of the matter is,
back in the 1700's folks did not live as long
as we do now...so it was a normal action.

I will show you more of this Christmas area
in our bedroom in another post.
Just a tease for now.

This weekend will be one 
where I can do whatever I want to.
All I have to do is laundry and clean up.
Then I will be working on a new rabbit,
and a new snowman that I drew up.

What will the weekend find you doing?

Stocking Blessings To All!
Janice



14 comments:

  1. I do love the stockings, but Ouch! I can't imagine cutting up one of those beautiful old pieces. I can't wait to see more of Christmas in your bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I would never be able to cut up a perfectly good antique one. Ouch is the correct word her. Janice

      Delete
  2. Sadly I have to work Friday but thanksgiving afternoon we will be busy decorating as we usually host a party or two
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to work Friday myself...but at least the Thanksgiving cooking will be done by my sister. We just have to show up to eat. Janice

      Delete
  3. The stockings are so cute and I'll look forward to seeing the Christmas room when it's time! We're celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow with our kids and grandkiddos so I've been cooking for the past few days and I have all the food done (even the turkey) so all I have to do is put some of the sides in the oven and enjoy the crowd! I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope your Thanksgiving went off without a hitch. Janice

      Delete
  4. That red and white coverlet is gorgeous! Love your stockings!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Robyn! I really enjoyed seeing them together. Janice

      Delete
  5. In the past I have bought a couple of paisleys to cut up to use in hooking, but when I've gotten them home didn't have the heart to do it. I use them as tablecoverings when I vend.
    Your coverlet items are great.
    Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have larger pieces that I refuse to cut up as well and use them for table displays all through the house. Janice

      Delete
  6. That's a splendid coverlet -- and your stockings are fabulous. Love them hung up with the old quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie! I did have fun drawing up the patterns for theses and seeing them. Janice

      Delete
  7. Love those old coverlet stockings from your Ebay scraps! I am with you in that I love red, white and blue any time of year. I also love hunter green and barn red because that fits with all things apple.

    It is hard to imagine a little 4 year old being able to knit stockings too. I am decades older and still struggle with socks that have a heel!! LOL!! It isn't easy at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Winnie! I would never have been able to knit at that age.. still cannot knit. Also I may have been tried as a witch since I am left handed. Am glad I did not live back in those times, but wish I could go back in time to the 1800’s. Janice

      Delete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.