Sunday, November 17, 2019

My Most Precious Items


Oh Happy Happy day my friends.
I will be working our store today,
whilst Bob moves his dad
from an upstairs apartment
to a lower unit.
At 76 he just cannot do those
steep stairs anymore.

Before I go though,
today I want to show off 
my most precious of all items.

Today we live in a throw away society,
but back in the 1700's they built things to last.
I have a few items from the 1700's,
and here they are.


How to tell if you have a piece of 
furniture from the 1700's is by rosehead nails.
These nails are square but raised in the middle.
(see close up of my piece)



This dough box was my second piece
that I was able to purchase
made in the 1700's.
I so love the mouse hole and early red paint.


This early salter carved from one piece of wood.


This is one of three burl bowls I own.
Hand carved. 


A hand carved noggin for drinking ale.


A one piece black fruit compote.


The first piece I ever purchased
was this Windsor chair.
I purchased from a fellow antique dealer,
who has since passed.
Up close you can see the original yellow paint
from the 1700's, then a blue paint from the 1800's.
Finally the black paint from the early 1900's.

It is extremely difficult for me to find any
pieces from the 1700's.
When I usually do, I will pay the price,
as these pieces are so very precious to me.

Can you imagine these items being
around for over 300 years.

Do you think furniture from the present
will last this long?

I for one do not think it will.

Well my friends off to eat some breakfast
and off to the store I go.
Hopefully Bob will relieve me by
mid afternoon so I can come back home
and work on things.

What are your plans today?

Precious Item Blessings To All!
Janice  


18 comments:

  1. A good cleaning of my house we are having company and watch the football game
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Janice! Lovely early pieces in your collection..it's really getting hard to find piece's from the 1800's as well. I'm going to go grocery shopping, do laundry, and cross stitch some small samplers for the Holly Show while watching The Crown!!! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bobbie! Yes it is getting harder to find items...even to re-sell. Hope you have fun at the show. Wish we could come. Janice

      Delete
  3. Wow, I can imagine all the people who used these 300 years old pieces over all this time, and now you are using them. They sure were built to last.
    On Sunday, I go to breakfast with friends at our favorite family restaurant and I don't do too much except to crochet, read and check my emails and blogs and only do what is really necessary.
    Enjoy this day.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they were built to last that is for sure. Hope you had a fun day on Sunday. Janice

      Delete
  4. Wow, these items from the 1700s are impressive indeed! How luck you have been to find them at affordable prices too. My favorite is the dough box with faded red paint.

    I agree with you that today's throw away society is becoming a huge environmental problem. All of those throw aways end up in huge pieces of land dedicated to waste dumps. What if we were more like our ancestors? Think of all the cleaner water, good land, and ,and less shopping habits our planet would have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I skim through the pages of a Simple Life magazine and wonder where those folks purchased all those wonderful pieces and drool over them. I wish society was more like our ancestors for sure. Janice

      Delete
  5. I love seeing these old things. I treasure the really old pieces I have, even though I doubt any of them date back to the 1700s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The old stuff is well worth keeping for sure. Janice

      Delete
  6. I know the furniture of today won't last 300 years but if anyone finds mine they will find a few different coats of paint too as I like to change things up! Sundays are church in am, a bigish dinner for lunch as that's all I will cook today and then stay home, nap, take Arnie for walk and prepare for work tomorrow. Quiet is how I would describe the day I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes furniture of today will NEVER last 300 years. Hope you had a nice Sunday. Janice

      Delete
  7. Those pieces are amazing. I own nothing that old. I wouldn't sell them if I did either. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you Jacky. Every time I look at my antiques I am in awe of how old they are and wonder who used them. Janice

      Delete
  8. I don't think new furniture will last 30 years!
    Wonderful treasures you own. My house is filled with items from the 1800's, but nothing as early as your treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope we are lucky if it will last 10 years now adays. Its such a shame. Janice

      Delete
  9. These are beautiful pieces and I love they have lasted so long. The stories they would tell! Indeed, they are treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh love it all! I have a few pieces too and I cherish them.

    Ummmm....the black bowl, is it possibly walnut? If it is, please be careful when putting food in it, it is very toxic!

    I have had my eye of a couple dough bowls and am hoping Santa sees my letter lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.