Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Island Getwaway

Boy it's been 
H O T
Wish I was back on the island with its
cool breeze off the lake.

Hi everyone!
Hope all is well with you all!
These are pics from our recent island trip.


The island is only 5 minutes from our house,
with a five minute ferry ride from the mainland.


On the island.
Harsen's Island as this one is called.
Mainland on the left.
Russell Island to the right.


Mikayla at the waterside restaurant.


Mikey not liking gramma taking his pic.
I still cannot believe he will be driving soon.
He passed his Driver's Ed class.
My grand babies are growing up too fast!


My mom.
She is doing well now.


Mikalya...
L O O K
a freighter.


Gramma...
L O O K
another freighter.


Now all the years we have been coming
to the island for our yearly luncheon,
we have 
N E V E R
seen two freighters pass.


Philip Clarke on the left.
Mesabi Miner to the right.


Passing so close in the channel.


The Clarke is short at 676 feet,
while the Mesabi Miner is 1004 feet.
Both were loaded.
It still amazes me that they can carry
tons of ore and salt and other goods,
and stay afloat.


The Clarke as she begins to pass near us.


Saying good-bye for another year.
We got off the island at the right time.
The dark clouds were moving in that day.

In other news.
My mom has graduated from therapy.
WOOHOO!
The doctor cleared her to go home.
WOOHOO!
Don't know when I can take her home though...
so maybe my brother or sister can take her back.
I think she is finally looking forward to going home.
She is making out a grocery list to stock her fridge.
A good sign.

Hoping everyone is enjoying their week thus far.

My yearly Summer tradition is going to the island
 with my grandkids.
Do you have a yearly Summer tradition?

Island Getaway Blessings To All!
Janice



10 comments:

  1. Hi Janice,
    So nice for you to be living so close to the water and what a lovely tradition for you and your grands!! So happy to hear the good news about your mom!!! I'm sure she can't wait to be in her own home!!!
    Hope you have a great weekend!!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes living near the river with all of the islands nearby is a treat. Sometimes we take it for granted but then when the campers come in for the season, we are reminded ow lucky we really are to enjoy this for all of the seasons...because each one is different. Janice

      Delete
  2. Some really nice family photos and freighter photos. Your mom is probably looking forward to going back to her routine, i hope she is careful for sure. I usually like the armada fair, but didn't get there this year too hot. Looking forward to cooler weather for sure. Have a wonderful blessed rest of week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found a few goodies at the show Sandy. Will post later. Hope you had a great weekend! Janice

      Delete
  3. Lots of good news! Congrats to the almost new driver. Looks like your traditional island trip was a success. Those freighters look like those that my husbands company fills with coal to send overseas. I am always amazed that they can float with the tonnage.
    Happy sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leslie! Yes it always amazes me when the freighters come by. Hope you have a great Sunday too! Janice

      Delete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.