Sunday, November 11, 2018

Let's Talk Salt

Happy Autumn Sunday!
I am so blessed to have friends
such as yourself that enjoy my humble blog.
Although this time I did not comment back
to your sweet comments, I do so enjoy reading them.
I usually do comment back on those posts.

Our prim show yesterday was a success!
However on the way home we had
a slight mishap.
A lady kept honking her horn at us.
I finally realized 
she was trying to get our attention.
I rolled my window down and she yelled
that the back doors to our cargo van were open.
Bob immediately pulled over.
Another man stopped behind us.
He came out of his car holding our suitcase.
What wonderful good samaritans.
We did however lose $30 worth of goodies.
It was getting too dark to turn around to go look.
They were not antiques, but prim goodies
that my friend Ruth makes.
I will just have to purchase more from her.

Bob still does not know how the doors came open.
All I know God was with us.
We could have lost much more.

Today I want to talk about salt.


Salt was very important 
to the early colonists and pioneers. 


It was used to preserve the precious meat
that would be hung in smoke houses
during the Winter months.


This unusual item is a salter.


Used to hold salt.
The salt would be placed in these
 two compartments.
The lids would be turned to cover them
when not in use.


What makes this salter extra special,
it was carved from one piece of wood.


The carver of this beauty 
was very good at his trade.
I wonder how long it took him 
to make this item?
Especially since this piece
 was a necessity for that time.


I so love the patina of this piece.


Although not a desk item,
I thought it looked good here for now.
A very unusual piece.

Today I am off to do laundry.
FIL is coming over for dinner later.
Pork roast with all of the fixins.

Will also be working on a something for myself...
which I cannot say right now.
Then if time permits,
will start decorating my corn cob tree
 for the Holidays.

What will you be doing today?

Salter Blessings to All!
Janice





7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful piece. I enjoyed the little history you wrote about salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow! Good Samaritans in this day and age... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. God was definitely smiling down on you and hubby. It could have been so much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janice! Oh goodness, how wonderful you found out about the open door fairly soon and that you recovered your suitcase. My parents were antique dealers while I was growing up and we had many travel mishap stories over the years as well, lol. I adore your salter. Anything old wood and handmade gets me every time. I'm making roast this afternoon too! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you had a good show. The little craft shows here have been pretty good too. And I am glad you didn't lose the salter out the door. I never saw one of those before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for a successful show! Thank God for good Samaritans!
    I have never seen a salter like that, that is a very cool piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janice, So sorry for the mishap. I am glad you were alerted though. So many nice people. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.