Friday, April 12, 2024

This And That

 Hello friends.
Today is a bit of this and that.

Well the other day we were able to see
the partial eclipse of the sun.
It was at 99%.


To the normal eye the sun looked like this
through my phone.
They predicted cloudy weather for us,
so we were not sure if we would see it at all.
At around 3:00pm the sky started to get hazy.
By 3:10 the sky looked like it was raining without the rain.
The sky just to the Southeast looked like bad
storm clouds it was that dark.
Overhead it was just like it was raining,
without the rain.

By 3:15 the sky started to go back to normal
and the clouds moved in.
Thank goodness they waited.
That's how I would describe it.
It was cool, awesome, mystic, eerie
all at the same time.
A once in a lifetime experience I actually got to see.
Even my mom saw it while she was here.


We were told 8 things might happen during the eclipse.
1. Beads around the moon. Did not happen.
2. Animals would act abnormal and the birds 
would stop chirping. 
Birds kept chirping all of the time.
Tundra could have cared less. 
3. Strange shadows. 
None that I could see.
4. The temperature would drop.
If it did, I did not feel it. It was a nice 65 day.
5. Wind would pick up. 
Not here.
6. Radio interference. 
Did not have any on, so dont know.
7. Solar flares of the sun. 
Did not see any.
8.May see other planets around.
Did not check for those as I was enthralled
 at seeing the eclipse itself.



Now through the lens I was looking at 
the sun was green while the moon was black.
This last pic was me taking a picture of the eclipse
through my lens.
It totally looked green here.
I know Lauren  from Rugs and Pugs 
had the best view being in the center.

That was the this portion of my post.
Now for the that.



 Gramma O's Rolls
2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup water
2 packages quick rising yeast
(Fleischmann's or Red Star yeast)
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
8 to 10 cups flour
Place milk, water and margarine 
in a pot and heat until lukewarm.
You can test using your finger.
If it feels warm take off stove.
Add the following to a large mixing bowl.
2 cups of flour, sugar, baking powder,
baking soda and salt.
Mix together with a beater.
Add milk mixture.
Mix together again with beater.
Add yeast and mix together with beater.
Place a bit of flour on a breadboard.
Knead dough.
Add more flour by cupful until it does not
stick to your hands.
Place dough back into the bowl.
Cover on stove with a kitchen towel.
Let rise until dough doubles in size.
(usually a half hour to an hour)
Take out of bowl and place back on breadboard.
Take approximately 2 ounces of the dough
and roll into a ball.
Place your balls on a cookie sheet lined
with wax paper sprayed with Pam.
(In the early days they used melted butter)
Place 2 dozen on a cookie sheet.
Bake 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
Take out and brush rolls with melted butter.


For the remainder of the dough,
you can either another dozen rolls or make 
cinnamon sugar strips.

Mix two parts of sugar to 1 part cinnamon
into a bowl.
Melt another 1/4 cup butter in a pan.
Take the dough and roll into strips.
Dip the strips into the butter and then the 
cinnamon sugar mixture.
Place each strip into a cake pan,
and make a circle of strips starting
 in the middle of the pan.
Go around to the edge of pan with your strips.
Bake at 400 for 15 minutes and you will have
homemade cinnamon and sugar bread strips
you can then pull apart and eat.

Now my mom asked me to put out a disclaimer.
She said that anyone other than a girl in 
our family will probably not be able to make
these rolls.
She thinks her gramma put a hex on this,
as she has given it to quite a few friends...
no one has been able to make them.
I just found this out.
If you try to make these, please let me know 
if it works out for you.
I have not made these although both my
sister and daughter have.

In other news,
later today I have to get my wisdom teeth out.
Will be out of commission for a bit.
All of these years, my dentists had said 
they did not need to come out.
Now one has a cavity, 
so my dentist said its time.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
Mine will probably be laying on the couch,
looking like a chipmunk,
trying to eat either applesauce, pudding or jello. 

This And That Blessings To All!
Janice


13 comments:

  1. I didn't go outside during the time the eclipse was to occur but did see eerie shadows from the trees in my vision thru the windows. The sky also had an eerie darkness to it. So knew that was the moment the moon was covering the sun at the major viewing sights.
    Monday I have my permanent crown put on and you should be well on your way to healing from your extractions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did not have the full eclipse, still nice to see what we did though. DH had never seen the shadows change to crescents before.
    Thank you for the recipe. I'm not sure when I'll make them as DH has decided to go on a low-carb diet. That's put a bit of a funk(?) on my cooking habits. Not that I bake that much.
    Good luck on the wisdom teeth. I too had mine out as an adult after one got a cavity. IIRC, while not fun, it wasn't the horror other people told me their extraction/recovery was after I had it done. Sometimes it pays to NOT tell people when you are having a procedure done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you going to make those rolls or have your mom do it? Also I hope you are doing okay getting your wisdom teeth out. Ouch. We didn't have much of an eclipse here either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Janice - sorry about your wisdom teeth - you must have lots of TLC and rest! The eclipse was amazing-your description was spot on - mystic, eerie, mesmerizing. We did feel the temp drop, it did get quiet, and we could see the beads and diamond - but then we are right in the center of the path it took. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe - maybe just maybe I can be a part of the family as in kindred spirits! I’ll try them and let you know. I’m hoping-since my grandmother was born in 1901 that your grandmother may be about the same time and the rolls will taste like I remember. Please tell your mom thanks for sharing - I’m so excited to try! Take care of yourself and get that TLC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you do well with the wisdom tooth. And three cheers to your mom! I noticed the wind and darkness, also the birdsong definitely quieted down, though I still heard a couple. It was really quite amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We saw the eclipse too. it was sunny and warm but now rain rain and more rain!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you to have seen the eclipse. It was far too overcast here...and we were not in the path of totality anyway. At the time it was supposed to be at its peak, I did go out several times and it may have gotten a bit darker - like you said, like rain with no rain...although it eventually did rain here so who knows if it was that or the eclipse. Just another dreary day in Nod in my book. The rolls sound tempting...as in a challenge LOL. I'd cut the recipe in half though...That must make a lot of rolls! Good luck with the extractions. I had mine done so long ago the memories of it have faded (thankfully). Hope you feel well enough to get some stitching in. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the eclipse was unbelievable. 100 times more exciting than I anticipated. Something I will NEVER forget. I remember the silence...but it did not dawn on me the birds had stopped making noise until someone pointed it out. Our temperature dropped at least 10 degrees I surmise. But when totality was over, it got bright and warm almost instantaneously. I forgot to look for planets I was so intent on looking at the sun ;-(
    A wise thing to get the wisdom teeth taken care of...pun intended. I hope you heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope all goes well with your wisdom teeth removal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The eclipse was very cool! I see pics people posted of funny shadows but we didn't see them either. It did get dark and cold.
    Your rolls sound so good!
    I hope you are doing ok after getting those teeth out. I still have mine too. Rest and have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here in Ohio we did have a perfect view and clear skies. Looks like you were able to enjoy the event also. We didn't get the crazy crowds although the hotels were full and downtown was busier than usual. My dog did act weird. She would stick like glue to me all morning, wouldn't eat (until dinner time) and didn't want to take a walk. She kept going under the bench in the kitchen. By the time the whole thing was done she was back to normal. I loved it though! I'm not a roll maker myself so for sure it wouldn't turn out for me! I hope others have good luck with the recipe though. Have a good weekend and i hope you're feeling better soon after the extraction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We also had a perfect day to watch the eclipse and like Lauren, we were in the path of the eclipse. I saw the red flares of the sun and I also saw the diamond sparkling at the base. I watched from my deck. An amazing event.

    Good luck getting your wisdom teeth out. Enjoy the rest of the week. Hugs.

    Julia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.