Thursday, January 11, 2024

A Victorian Christmas


Hello friends.
Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.
Looks like we finally got some snow overnight.
Its been a weird Winter start for us,
with very little snow and lots of rain.
In fact so much that our ground is getting
really mushy to walk on.

December 2nd was my 65th birthday.
At that time I decided to book tickets
 for the annual Victorian Christmas dinner
 at the museum in the town my mom lives in.
 

It was an evening event.
This was the centerpiece at our table.
There were 4 tables of 10,
however ours had 12, so a total of 42 folks came
to the event this year.


The mansion was once owned by Dr. Loop originally,
who was the towns doctor in the late 1800's.
Back then the town was called Bark Shanty,
but now it is the still the small community
of Port Sanilac, Michigan.
The home was styled in the Victorian era.
Our table was actually the doctor's office.


All of the pieces in here were original  to the house.


My mom looking at the song book.
Bob next to her.
We sang Christmas carols before and after dinner.


This tree was in the main room.


This was in the parlor.
I loved how they tucked in 
the poinsettias behind the picture.


This wall hat rack was by the front door.


Looking back at the front door.
It was massive and hard to open.


We were not allowed to go up into the second
or third floor, but I did take a pic looking up
the first set of stairs.
There was a tree at the top,
but I forgot to take a pic of that one.


This tree was in the parlor.


A buffet in the dining room.


The tree in the room we were in.


The dining room tree.


Each table setting had a gold charger 
with a green napkin folded like a tree and 
a star with our name on it.


We all had a wonderful time.


Since it was a night event,
I asked Bob to take this picture
of the mansion as we were leaving town
the next morning.
The yellow is actually brick made from 
yellow clay which came from Detroit.
My previous  home had yellow clay for dirt.
The gray barn to the left was the actual barn
to the property.
It now is used for plays in the Summer.
We have gone to many of these over the years.
It is called the Barn Theatre.

In other news,
took the day off today.
Bob has a cardiologist appointment, and I wanted
 to go with him.

After that we are headed back to 
the gift shop to move more inventory.
I need to get organized to bring out the new goodies.

I forgot to answer a few comments from before.
Carla, the crutch we purchased.
I actually have two.
Sometimes I tie a red ribbon at the top for Christmas.
This time I left it plain. 
They remind me of Tiny Tim from the Scrooge movie.

I think Debby gave me the You Tube links
for the young couple that live the early life.
I subscribed to them and love it, so thank you.
If it was not Debbie, then please remind me
 so I can properly thank you.

Victorian Blessings To All!
Janice
 







15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful "mansion" and the inside is amazing. Nice that they have the original pieces from the house and doctor. We don't have anything cool like that here. Well, not that I know of. We had a brown Christmas here too. Just received our first snow that "stayed" this week, more on the way tomorrow. Then the - temps....ugh! Oh, happy belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday. We're fairly close in dates but definitely not close in age mine is December 5th. Nice to celebrate 2 great events, a birthday and Christmas with family ~ a good time had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful event to celebrate your birthday-a milestone birthday-hugs and Happy Birthday I enjoyed all the photos thank you.
    we are mostly getting rain too but the city I shop for food in about a 30 minute drive had lots of snow. bitter minus temps for the weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah it was me! I knew you’d enjoy it.
    I would have loved to attend that Victorian Christmas Dinner. The problem - I’d never want to leave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday Janice....what a great memorable way to celebrate it. That house looks wonderful but I would have been disappointed not be able to go upstairs LOL. I had a special affinity with the notorious Scott Mansion in the little town nearest to the north of Nod. It was allegedly cursed - I did a post on it many years back - and had written about it as a student. I did several tours of it but never did they let us upstairs either. Sadly, they tore it down a few years back. So tragically sad. We've had snow all week...and a major storm on the way tomorrow and then brrrrr.... The subzero winters Nod is famous for will set in. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a Wonderful Victorian Home and special dinner ! Happy Belated Birthday !!! This Winter just isn't normal at all ...Global Warming affecting us all .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!
    What a beautiful setting to have a birthday dinner. Very nice, the trees are a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun way to celebrate your birthday! It looks like a beautiful place and so fun with all the history.
    I love your crutch idea for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday and what a fun way to celebrate! Bob looks so dapper and your Mom so festive in her red outfit! This looks so much like the Historical society's Mansion house here in Ashland. We decorate the trees in all the rooms but it would be fun if they hosted a special dinner. Yours was a doctor's office so I wonder if it's a bit haunted? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what fun. Such a beautiful house. Thanks for sharing the pictures of mom and Bob. You are so lucky to still have mom around.
    Happy belated birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday and thank you for answering the question... I love the idea of having the crutch and Tiny Tim is a favorite of mine.
    And my birthday is 12/12. ;-)
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the decor. Such a great way to celebrate your birthday in style. Happy Belated Birthday. Your mom looks so elegant and festive and yes, Bob looks so dapper... I would love to see a picture of you too. Be generous and let us see one of you next time.
    Thanks for sharing this special treat with us.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday, Janice! The Victorian Christmas dinner you've chosen to celebrate your birthday with, sounds very special and interesting ( partly due to the historical background of the place).
    Your Mom and husband look very good in the displayed picture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful way to celebrate your birthday. The mansion is lovely with so many wonderful details and it was fun to see Bob and your mom here! I can't think of a better way to be feted!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful as always. Will certainly miss the gift shop your creations and display ideas. Hope your birthday was the start of a much blessed year. Your year seems to be starring out with a bang for sure and you are busier than ever.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.