Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Cabin Living

 Hello friends!


Back  in August I visited my one friend.
She purchased this cabin and property 
on the main street going into 
the town my mom lives in. 
She is feverously working on getting
this ready to open a primitive store.
The mazing thing about this,
is she purchased another cabin from Indiana,
and has attached that new cabin
 to the back  of this one.
The second cabin will be her living quarters.

      

Even though she is not open yet,
she wanted to add a July 4th window display.
She has this amazing Lady Liberty figurine.
I also love the painting of Abe Lincoln.
George Washington is in there too,
however not sure what the chicken has to do
with the 4th of July. LOL
Will need to ask her when I talk to her again.


     

So inside I was only able to take pics
of the front cabin as she is still working
on the back cabin.
She will have a bathroom and electricity.
This picture is the back window of the front cabin.
She will add some type of prim curtain
so no customers will be able to see in.
For now she has a lantern and Tobacco hanging. 
She is the one I purchased my tobacco from.

    

The original wood beams on the ceiling are amazing..

  

She is not sure if she is going to sell this pie safe
or keep it for a display.
I told her she should keep it.

 

Now you may notice the chinking on the walls.
It's the white rows.
It is needed to help insulate a cabin as the logs
will expand and shrink with age during the seasons.
Early pioneers used a combination of clay, 
lime and sand.
Nowadays this is a synthetic mixture
that is mixed with water.
However you still need to apply by hand.
My friend loves to chink and is doing this herself.


 

She did replace the wood floors and added
a tile that resembles wood.
I love it and the color.


When I saw this tree,
I had to ask her where she got it.
When she said she made it,
I immediately asked her if she could 
make one for me.
Of course I am going to pay her...
and she will be making me two. 
I dont expect to get them until after Fall,
so will look forward to them in next years decor.
She will let me take pics again once
 her store is set up.
Also again she will let me take pics
when her home is finished.
I just found out she bought the mule chest
that Bob mistakenly sold to another dealer.
I had wanted to keep it.
GO ahead and say it.
"Oh Bob"

Would you live in a log cabin if you had
all of the amenities?
I might consider it now seeing hers.

In other news,
Just Gail blog reminded me of the 
faded prim pinks that are out there.
The fabrics that are out there,
I consider from the Victorian era,
but yes those colors are very muted.
Also prims do come in a salmon color,
which is a shade of pink. 
These are found in prim cabinets, 
firkins, wood bowls and pantry boxes.
In fact the pie safe my friend has,
in one of the above pics is a salmon color.
Thank you Gail for reminded me there
are prims in a dirty pink.
I just do not care for that color...
probably why I forgot about them. LOL

Mary from Windy Meadows Farm
figured out what I will be doing soon.
I purchased two sampler patterns
where I want to start a family tree in cross stitch.
Its been eons since I have cross stitched,
so it will be a slow go.

In 4 days I will be taking down 
the Mad Scientist room and putting up
my Vintage Christmas themed room.
I hope it will be well received.
What is left of the Fall and Halloween will be
put away until next year and mixed in.
Am still madly finishing up my handmades.
I ask myself why do I wait until 
the last minute when I have all year to create?
Still have no answer. 

Cabin Living Blessings To All!
Janice

13 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post and learned something about log cabins. Had contemplated hooking a rug with a log cabin at my next rug camp but decided on something else, or at least for the moment. To answer your last question ~ 'cuz we don't feel like making a Santa in the spring or summer but when the season changes so do our interests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, I really enjoyed your post-YES I would have loved to have been able to live in a log cabin. If I could time travel I would travel back to the late 1700's or early 1800's (before the civil war) After I met my husband (over 45 years ago) he told me he had built a log cabin-large one-but had to sell it do to a bad divorce. When we retired though in the early 2000's we lived in the woods, hunted for food, and only heated with two woodstoves til Hubs wasn't able to fell the trees cut and split. I am a pioneer at heart
    This is awesome that she was able to bring in her cabin and set it up behind her store-and live in it-I love that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A log cabin will be a great place to have a primitive shop and exciting to live in one too.
    My mother and step dad built a small log cabin. From cutting down the trees to finish. It had electric but no running water.
    They lived in it through the winter while their log cabin home was being built on the same property.
    The log cabin they built became a guest cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to put a little cabin in our Creepy Woods. She's got that pioneer spirit to take the time and effort to chink those logs! I have a good friend who lives in a log home but it was Amish built and has all the modern conveniences. It's adorable but they struggle with bees getting into the wood as well as staining it every couple of years. But yes, I could live in a log home! I feel bad that all that hard Halloween work you put in will be gone long before Halloween! But I know how shop keepers have to get ahead of the seasons. Good luck with all the sales. I hope it was a good Fall sale season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cabin. I wish her well and much success.
    The tree is stunning.
    The feather type tree is the motif I uses in my holiday cards last year. I wish I had seen her tree back then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know as a shopkeeper you must work seasons ahead, but it just seems so wrong to put away fall before it is even Halloween!
    Your friend's log cabin is going to be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is going to be a fantastic shop! I once thought I would have loved living in a log cabin...but my mom once reminded me that I did for my first 3 years of life. It had been "converted" to be "modern" (ha!) but without many amenities and I am afraid I am far too spoiled now. Some of those modern newly-built (large) log cabin homes are beautiful though - and we almost bought one when we first married but it would have been a very long commute...and was a bit out of our price range. ~Robin~ (Sad about taking Halloween down so soon...I know, I know...I "get" it, but still LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We use to watch a show about a team out of north Carolina who rescued and restored log cabins. I would love one.
    You are moving the seasons right along.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the cabin! I can't wait to see it when she's done. And I love that she got the mule chest. :)
    I think most of us have things we wait on, and then end up working like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe in the summer! Tough to insulate in the winter! But it is charming and I'm sure it will be lovely inside when decorated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the cabin! We visited a shop owner that did something similar in Montana. She had a shop in the front of the cabin and her home in the rear. Our boys were little and intrigued, she gave us a tour. :-)
    Happy October, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Completely jealous...YES I would move into a cabin tomorrow if I could. Not sure the family would like it, but hey, maybe a little one out back just for me :) I guess it's not possible to be born in the wrong time, but I have such a love of times past, and feel so comfortable there...I would move right in, candle light, hauling water, cooking on a wood stove - sign me up! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.