Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Popcorn Toot Toot

Did I get your attention?
If I did, then today I will be
doing a tutorial of a popcorn garland I am making
for my Christmas tree this year.
Now to give credit where credit is due,
I found this tutorial on Pinterest by
bythebayneedleart.blogspot.com
If you would like to follow me on Pinterest,
just look me up at 
prims by the water
This original tutorial will be found on my
Primitive Christmas Crafts Board.
 

Alright onto my tutorial,
as I changed my garland from the original.
I used this yummy red wool for my cranberries.
Then for my popcorn I used this waffle weave fabric.


I used this DMC thread to add my pieces.
Now for each of my garlands, 
I cut this thread in a 7 foot piece.
I then folded it in half.
This will give you a 3ft garland piece
after you make loops on both ends.
Starting with the folded piece, I tied a knot to 
about 4 inches for my loop to hang on the tree.
Once the garland was finished, I tied 2 knots 
on the other end.
This would make my other loop to hang on the tree.


I cut my strips differently then the original
as I wanted my popcorn to look bigger.


My white popcorn strips are 3/4 inch wide,
while my cranberries were 1/2 inch wide.
The length of the popcorn strips were whatever
I felt like cutting at the time.
No rhyme or reason.
My cranberries were all 3 inches in length.




For each popcorn strip I fold the fabric
like an accordion and then with my thread on
 my needle, I go through the middle of all folds. 



I already had my thread on the needle.
Just go through all of the folds in the middle.



For the cranberries I just rolled up
like this.


Again go through the middle to add to your garland.


Here is a portion of my finished one.


Take 2.
I did not like the waffle weave fabric.
It kept fraying on me.
I only made on 3 ft garland and gave up.
It will be used in one of my displays though.
I then grabbed some cotton batting, white wool,
Chenille that I had dyed awhile back
along with this windowpane wool.


I also decided to make gaps in my garland
to mimic when cranberries dried up.
I like it much better.

In other news.


Now for something interesting.
All the rage are these huge skeletons.
Well this Victorian house is a three story one.
Can you see the three skeletons?


One on top of the house.
One on the outside of the third story
looking like he is walking around it.
The last one on the portico looking in.
Can you see yourself inside on the second
story looking at that through your window?

A little backstory on this house.
There were three of them built in a row
on a hill a few towns to the North of us 
during prohibition.
Two of the houses built tunnels underground
leading to the river to smuggle in liquor.
This liquor would be brought in by boat
at night and then transported via the tunnels.
Several locations were used all along our
mighty river to bring in alcohol.
Only two of the houses remain.
I do not know what happened to the third one.
We have a diver friend who has dived all along
our river. He has seen lots and lots
of broken bottles at the bottom.
Stories have been told if the police
happened to catch a boat they thought 
was carrying liquor, the shipmates
would toss the crates overboard
before getting caught.

Bob and I did not pass out candy last night.
It had been raining all day and he was tired.
So I just made soup and grilled cheese sandwiches
and we watched our taped spooky shows
from the Travel Channel.

On to Thanksgiving Blessings To All!
Janice









9 comments:

  1. A shame the waffle weave didn't work. If you lived close I'd take over my 'fray check' for you to seal the edges so it would stop the ravel. Wonder how they make that skeleton stand alone without a prop? As normal I had no visitors last night either but did have candy at the ready. Guess I'll end up eating those Peanut Chews and Reese's Peanut Butter cups by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, great idea with the garland
    Second, cool story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like your garland. we had not kids either husband will eat the candy I didn't by much and left some for the mail person yesterday.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a clever garland, thanks for showing us the how-to! And yes, I've seen those giant skeletons - oh my, a little too big for my liking. Can't help but wonder how they stay in place?? Grilled cheese + soup - perfect for this time of year. Have a good week, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial. I like your cute garland.When the kids were young, I used to decorate the Christmas tree with homemade popcorn garlands. I made the popcorn in a big pot on the stove and after the corn was all popped, I would leave the cover on the pot to keep the moisture in the popcorn, otherwise the popcorn was brittle and break while stringing. The kids loved stringing popcorn but sometime they would eat the popcorn right off the garland, lol...

    That victorian house looks haunted and I hope the skeletons won't fall and break.

    We had no trick and treaters and no candies here but I took cases of chips and cheese sticks to the great grand kids before Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the popcorn project but I don't think I will try it...I'll leave it to the professionals! I love that house with the skeletons. I wanted a 12ft skeleton but they were sold out and now I'm glad I didn't get one. I had a 7ft one that I took back because it was broken and then realized how huge they are and how in the heck would I store It! My Grandfather made illegal liquor during the depression and perhaps he was one of the folks shipping it from Chicago to Michigan! You never know! Happy November to you Janice!0000

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE that big old Victorian with the skeletons. What fun!
    It was a gorgeous evening here in northern Ohio for trick-or-treat. I probably had about 125 kids. I thought there would be more.
    Years ago I would string popcorn. One year I decided to save it for the next year. Well, the bugs found it. Another time while on the tree the cat ate all the popcorn it could reach!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That house is great but I would SO NOT have been climbing around out there to put up those skeletons! The popcorn garland is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing the tutorial, well done.
    I loved the history you shared regarding that amazing house. My husbands family has links to some prohibition tales.

    I LOVE the skeletons!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.