Friday, February 9, 2018

Love Tree

Good morning sweet friends.
Well another Friday is upon us.
We are expecting significant snow today,
so am working from home.


I saw my second eagle of the season yesterday.
They are so cool!


Today I would like to feature
Edgar Allan Poe's valentine poem to the love of his life...
who was not his wife.
The name of Poe's valentine was hidden in this poem.
The back story on this is that Poe met his love
while she was separated from her husband.
The couple never admitted anything was going on,
nor did they ever wed.
Here is the poem.


For her this rhyme is penned, whose luminous eyes,
Brightly expressive as the twins of Loeda,
Shall find her own sweet name, that, nestling lies
Upon the page, enwrapped from every reader.
Search narrowly the lines!- they hold a treasure
Divine- a tailsman- an amulet
That must be worn at heart. Search well the measure
The words- the syllables! Do not forget
The trivialest point, or you may lose your labor!
And yet there is in this no Gordian knot
Which one might not undo without a sabre,
If one could merely comprehend the plot.
Enwritten upon the leaf where now are peering
Eyes scintillating soul, there lie perdus
Three eloquent words oft uttered in the hearing
Of poets, by poets- as the name is a poet's, too.
Its letters, although naturally lying
Like the knight Pinto- Mendez Fernando-
Still form a synonym for Truth. - Cease trying!
You will not read the riddle, though you do the best you can.

I have highlighted the letters for you that were the clues
to this riddle of a poem for his sweet Valentine.
Her name was
Frances Sargent Osgood
She was a fellow American female poet.



Our local cafe/ restaurant called the Raven
is everything Edgar Allan Poe.



All of the coffee, sandwiches and soups 
are named after his poems.
It was here that I just learned about this poem,
So I wanted to share with you all.

Now more of my Valentine love tree.



I kept my peppermint bundles,
added some hearts.



Added a few early 3D Valentine's.


Silver mercury garland.


A finished tree.


For all to see!

Well off to sign into work.
I did my grocery shopping last night,
as we are expecting snow every day this weekend...
so that means I can work on...
you guessed.
B U N N I E S!
What will you be doing this weekend?

Love Tree Blessings To All!
Janice

9 comments:

  1. Hi Janice,
    Thanks so sharing the poem and the story behind it! What an interesting restaurant that must be to have everything named for Edgar Allen Poe!! Your tree is lovely and just perfect for this time of year!! Wish I could send you some of our weather! The high will be 82 today! Stay safe and warm and enjoy creating some bunnies!!!!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the poem and the backstory! Interesting.
    More snow in Ohio but not as much as you have I'm sure. I am so ready for spring!
    Enjoys your bunnies :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so ready for Spring too! Too much snow these past 3 days. Janice

      Delete
  3. Janice, this poem by Edgar Allen Poe was fascinating. Thank-you for sharing! Whew, Michigan has been getting pounded by snow storms lately, but I guess it is just normal up your way. This past week and the coming one is supposed to be in the upper 70s and overnight the Spring blooms are opening up everywhere. This time of year, Florida is at it's most beautiful and most comfortable! Yay!!

    We have friends here this weekend and we went though a few vintage stores and found a few great postcards from the early 1900s. Our friend has collected for over 30 years and he was able to help me select the best from the piles we rummaged through. The cool part was everything was 40% off, so I got my cards for a steal!!

    Looking forward to seeing you bunnies!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the poem, a valentine tidbit. Love your reds, but i am now onto spring and bunnies. when the snow melted, i put out a spring wreath, well at least there is color under the snow

    ReplyDelete
  5. No problem Sandy. Going to be bringing out Spring now. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow !!! it really beautiful so much.i like your good idea Thanks for the inspiration!

    หนังใหม่

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.