Good evening everyone.
Does anyone have a bucket list of places
they would like to visit?
One of mine is definitely Salem, MA
in October...maybe next year.
I have always been interested in
the sad event which were the Salem Witch Trials.
So today I am going to give you
some questions with answers below.
See if you get these correct.
1. What year did the Salem witch trials take place?
2. What event launched the inquisition?
3. Were men accused of practicing witchcraft?
4. How many people were convicted and put to death?
5. What role did the slave Tituba play in the witch craze?
6. How did they determine if you were a witch or not?
7. How old was the youngest person accused?
8. How long did the witch trials last?
9. Were those convicted burned at the stake?
10. What happened to the heirs of those execute?
11. Did you know there was a Mayflower connection?
Were animals also considered witches?
2. Young girls seemed to be possessed and started
speaking in different tonques.
4. 19 were executed. 5 others died in jail.
5. Tituba was the first women accused of being a witch.
She introduced Reverend Paris' daughters to voodoo.
The elders thought because of this she had to be a witch.
In 1976, Science Magazine found that fungus
ergot found in wheat, rye and cereals can cause
symptoms such as delusions, vomiting
and muscle spasms according to Toxologists.
(what was probably the real reason why the girls
acted out of sorts)
6. Defendents were asked to touch an affect person
to see if their behavior changed.
7. 4 years old. Dorcus Goode was the youngest
of the Salem witches to be accused. and imprisoned.
Her mother was also accused. Dorcus was released
from jail after her mother was hanged.
8. 7 months. The final hanging
was on September 22, 1692 and the court was dissolved
in October of that year.
9. No, with English law witchcraft was a felony
punishable by hanging. However in Europe
witchcraft was considered herecy by the church
and was punishable by burning at the stake.
10. John Alden's son, Captain John Alden Jr
was accused by a child on a trip from Canada back to Boston
while going through Salem. He spent 15 weeks in jail
before friends broke him out and he escaped back
to New York. He was later exonerated.
11. Two dogs were killed after being suspected of
How many questions did you get correct?
Hope you enjoyed a bit of history.
Only 3 more days until Halloween!
Pre Halloween Blessings To All!