Wednesday, December 14, 2011

What the Bejeebers

Living by the mighty St. Clair River,
 Bob and I have got use to the freighters blowing their horns.
For those of you who are not so familiar, they have what I call signals.
One short blast means changing course to starboard (right)
Two short blasts means changing course to port (left)
One long blast and two short is a salute
Five or six blasts in a row means danger or what I like to call it...
Hey you idiot get out of my way because I am bigger than you and cannot stop.

It never fails during the Summer, every weekend we hear freighters blasting their horns
many times because people like to fish in the shipping lane.
Now another signal is a blast at every buoy. Freighters do this when the river is foggy.
Sometimes I get woken up from sleep because one of the buoys is close to our house.
Then I count how many times I can hear the freighter...
it's my version of counting sheep.

Well this morning the river was foggy and it was raining.
Did I say that I hate driving in the dark in rain...well I do.

Anyway, I'm driving along going to work.
Minding my own business.
And what happens to me.
This freighter blows its horn...
and scares the bejeebers out of me.
I just happened to be driving by a buoy and I could not see the freighter in the fog.
Ah, the life of one who lives along the river...
When I got to work, my heart was still a few miles back.

Now my next short little tid bit for tonight
is that we have a new an animal in our neck of the woods.
One I might add that should find another home and leave.
Not only do we live by the river,
but our house is close to a 1400 acre state park.
The state DNR was warning deer hunters about this animal in November.
Now tonight I find out that one of our friends has actually seen it.
They live about 10 minutes from us.

 
I have come across many coyotes, but this guy can leave right now!!.
If I saw this cougar in person,
 it would scare the bejeebers more out of me than that freighter for sure.

Christmas Blessings everyone
Sure don't feel like Christmas with rain and 53 degree weather.
Does anyone want a cougar...I will be glad to send him your way.

Janice


8 comments:

  1. Uhhhmmmm....no thanks - as cute as that kitteh is, we've got them in these parts too....Add in coyotes, wolves, bears and what-nots, and I'm afraid to let my little Shih Tzu go out to do his business. 53 degrees - really? We are rainy and foggier than all get out - but there's still snow on the ground - and we haven't gotten out of the 30's....but strange weather nonetheless....If it keeps up, all our snow will be gone by Christmas. Have a terrific, spookfree, Thursday!! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is beautiful, but you can keep him up there! I will keep my big boy, Chum, he is black and not so big!...lol. Take care in that fog!

    Bear Hugs & Blessings~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of those has been spotted in our part of the world as well. As beautiful as they are a photo of one is as close as I want to get!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a lovely scary morning you had! eek.

    We have lots of critters around here, but I prefer that the wild cats and bears stay far far away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one critter I do not want a visit from at all! Beautiful and majestic though it is standing so still.Hope that you have a great day.Hugs,Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up less than a mile from the Straits of Mackinaw and fell asleep to the fog horns at night in the distance...don't know if I would like them THAT close Janice! LOL! I've heard about the cougars...hopefully the foghorns will scare 'em away! Take Care ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. He sure is a beautiful big kitten ~ but you can keep him ~ he would scare the bejeebers out of me!!!
    This weather just doesn't help to make it feel like Christmas ~ so foggy + the rain!
    I sure wish it would snow ~ maybe it would help me get in the mood.
    Hope you and yours has a Very Merry Christmas with family and friends!
    Prim Blessings
    Robin
    P.S. you can keep the fog horns too! I have train horns to deal with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know I love cats more than most anyone... but nope... I don't want that one in my backyard!

    Merry Christmas!

    Carmen and the Primcats

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.