Prims By the Water

▼

Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Our Adventure To Ohio Country

 
Hello friends.
First I will show you everything 
that came home with us.
Will share what happened below.


Leather Books


Pie Peel
For those who do not know what this is.
It would have been used in wood ovens
to place food in to bake and to take out
once cooked.


Hooked Chair Mat
I so loved the muted colors.


Not so much the original colors from the back.


Dried Pumpkin Gourd


Faux Wallpaper Box


Top
I did see 2 original wallpaper boxes.
Each were over $500.
Too expensive for my blood.


Pantry Box 


Top of this brown box.


Tin Lighting


Small Red and Blue Coverlet Pillow

The best item that came home
was one item I was truly hoping to find.
It was the  only  reason why we  took the truck.
Was so thrilled when I found it.
There were three, but when I  spotted
this one even Bob liked it best.
PERFECT


A Wonderful Early Red Prim Cabinet.
This is where we left it once we got
in that evening...
just before the rain came.

Now to our adventure.
We left our house at 7:30am.
I was driving.
I wont let Bob drive any long distances
because his left eye is still not 100%
from his stroke.
We stopped at Tim Horton's for
a quick breakfast...then we were off.
It would be a 3 3/4 hour drive.

At the Southern Michigan border
the first rainstorm hit.
Boy was it a doozy. 
I continued to drive but slowed down.
I knew Southern Ohio was expecting
thunderstorms in the afternoon
and was hoping we would be back in Michigan
before it started.
Well this rain put us behind.

Then most of the Ohio turnpike 
we encountered road work...
which lowered the speed I could drive.
More time lost.

Once I got off the turnpike,
I hit more rain.
UGH

We finally made it to Seville Antiques
at noon. 
Was hoping to be there by 11:15.

Again it rained a bit while we were shopping.
Bob and a worker got the cabinet in the truck
and I made one more trip around to see if
I wanted anything else.
Bob came and got me and said we should go.
So we paid and off we went.

Next stop was El Patron Mexican restaurant
in town.
We love this restaurant.
By the time we got our food, 
Bob was looking at the radar and said we should go.
We ate half our food and got carry outs.

When I hit the freeway,
the tarp started coming off.
I had to stop and Bob could not get it back
on the cabinet.
Now we really were in a time crunch
Plus now the cabinet was out in the open.

I was speeding most of the way back....
yes and glad I did not get pulled over.
We made it through Mansfield just before
the first thunderstorm went by.


Got on I75 and Bob said we might make it
in time before the storms hit Toledo.
But a storm was headed for Findley.
Well speed demon me once again made
it through both Findley and Toledo.

However once we got on I94 in Michigan
where we take this final freeway to get home,
there was a traffic jam.
EGAD man.
Now I was running out of gas.
UGH
We were on the freeway going through Detroit.
Bob thought we would make it.
I kept looking at the gauge...nope.
We needed to get off.
Unfortunately for us, where we got off,
the gas station was three miles from 
the freeway and not in a very good neighborhood.
Bob went in to pay cash for gas,
while I stayed in the truck.
I sure did get the looks from everyone who walked by.
I felt very uncomfortable.
I knew we were not wanted here.
Bob felt the same.
He pumped the gas and we were off.
Thankfully no confrontations.
Me driving in a new truck in a place
where there were only old jalopies.
Just glad it was still daylight.

We got closer to home and Bob 
looked at the radar once more.
Rain was headed towards our house,
so we stopped at a restaurant and had dinner.

Arrived home at 7:30 pm.
Safe, sound and no rain.
I thanked God.

A deer was in our neighbors yard 
after pulling in.
We spooked him and it went off
running into the woods.

Grandpa Ed is leaving for Florida
for the Winter, so we had to go that day.
He watched Tundra for us.

No more cabinets will fit in our house now,
so no truck needed ever again.


In the morning Bob placed 
the cabinet here for me.
Then the fun began...

...to be continued.

But wait...

On Friday I bought more prims.
Bob called me and said I might want
to go to this estate sale in town.
Well I went alright.

This is what I brought home
that day.


2 Wax Sealer Crocks.
These were the canning jars
in earlier times.
Also very rare to find and if you do 
very expensive.
I got them for a song.


Wood bunny


Small pull toy horse.
What is it with me and horses?


Finally these three wood tops.
Perfect for July 4th decor.

Well I may not have been able to
drive the antique trail this year,
but I sure did score last week. 

Adventurous Blessings To All! 
Janice


19 comments:

  1. Seville Antiques is a wonderful shop. I have bought items there, but most are out of my league 🤷‍♀️. So happy you found the cupboard of your dreams!
    Never say never about needing the truck. One day you will find an even more wonderful cupboard to replace one you already have.
    Of all your purchases I am most envious of your striper crocks purchased at the estate sale. I love them but they are so crazy expensive!
    What a fun day for you and Bob. Happy you were able to avoid the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great finds! Your story reminds me of ong ago when my husband & me were hauling a hudge entertainment center & it started to rain,he took exit's, bankroads,anything tomllay hide-n-seek with the rsin 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's something about a used and soiled hooked piece that warms my heart more than the clean side too. And there's no need to explain our love of horses...and so it is....the love of a horse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your finds! The cabinet is beautiful and I'm glad you made it safely home - but what a trip... And then more great finds at the estate sale. The crocks are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First - stop it - you have estate sales by you with those kinds of treasures! I know they are few and far between. The cupboard! Great find! The story...even better! Can't wait to see you stage it all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what an adventure! Glad you made it back safe with no tickets! That cabinet is nice and all the other pieces you bouggt. I can't wait to see how you stage everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy seeing what goodies you find in your thrifting adventures! That cabinet is perfect for you and I'm so glad it made it home with you in one piece. That's quite the story--just glad all was well in the end. Your blog is one that is not updating on my list for some reason (along with several others) so I've missed many posts. Hope you have a great fall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I'm here from Mari's blog "My Little Corner of the World".
    I have read your comments on others blogs and thought why have I never read yours?
    So here I am and loving every word and photo. Hubby and I love antiques and primitives too. We have to love from afar due to financial restraints. I think I will learn so much from reading your posts.
    Also love your writing style and how just driving home made me feel like I was speeding home too. (:0)
    Good Stuff
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great finds! Every things has a nostalgic character. How amazing the old red cabinet is and I had to chuckle reading that no more cabinets will fit now.
    Oh my, road work and rain.......two of the worst things to deal with when driving. And how scary to get in the wrong neighborhood. Glad you made it home safely through your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, you did have an adventure. Golly, I am so glad you were alright at the sketchy gas station.
    We have a gas station story and I too I am glad to be alive.
    Your treasure trove is making me smile.
    Happy Autumn my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such wonderful finds and such wonderful old pieces!Every things has a nostalgic character. How amazing the old red cabinet is and I had to chuckle reading that no more cabinets will fit now.
    Oh my, road work and rain.......two of the worst things to deal with when driving. And how scary to get in the wrong neighborhood. Glad you made it home safely through your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was some trip. Sure glad you made it back home. safely. You sure picked up some great items!!! Love those tops. We had a peel to take the pizza out of the oven. Not an old one though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Janice!! Oh my word, too much for me to comment on. First, thank goodness for a safe trip home during the storm, Second, that CUPBOARD! LOVE the color, oh good grief, I'm jealous. We need a peek inside. Okay, now I'm going to have to find Seville Antiques (Seville, OH??) Third ,the crocks are gorgeous! Wow, well done - you have hit the jackpot!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an ordeal! And a nail biter. Glad you made it home safe and dry. Oh my what treasures came with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful cupboard! It's getting so difficult to find old ones in good old paint these days. (Not that I get out much to look, but I've heard tell.) My heart, though, is with those old stripers. Never, ever, have I found any of those "in the wild" as they say. Glad you made it home safely and soundly.... But, like Lauren said, don't get rid of that truck yet. You never know when some other "gotta-have" comes into play. And also, don't you still buy for the shop??

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was a long day for sure. I do love your cabinet. You have so many wonderful things!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Janice, you were only about 20min. from our house in Ashland! I wish sometime you could stop and you'd be welcome to stay with us. Looks like you made a good haul! The cabinet is beautiful and all the other things are really nice too. I've never been to the Seville Antiques. Sometimes we just never go to things right in our own backyard! Have you ever heard of the Gleaner Antique place here in Ashland? They are on Facebook. Maybe a trip for treasures is in store for you here! Anyway, I'm glad you made it home safe and sound! Have a good rest of your first week of fall!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You had quite the adventure and amazing finds! So glad you got to and from safe and sound.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow what an adventure you two had. Glad you found your cabinet-you find the coolest items-hugs so glad you did not get rained on

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.