Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Antique Millinery


Happy Hump Day everyone!
Hope you week is going good for you.
Below are a few more items I found
on my antique trail excursion.

My guest bedroom has sewing,
millinery themed items in it.
Ever since I stepped into the 
Cohen Millinery
over at Greenfield Village,
I have been fascinated with items related to this.

Does anyone know what this item would
have been used for?  


Ladies would definitely have used this contraption.


It looks a bit dangerous, right?
Ladies would heat this up in a wood stove 
or warm over a lit kerosene lamp.

This is an early hair iron or crimper as they were called.
It would make your hair wavy.
It was all the rage in the late 1800 to early 1900's.



The next item that caught my eye
was this sprig of violets.
These flowers would have been used to make
ladies hats.


They were all made by hand using nylon and velvet.


Then I spotted these hat pins.


A few more to add to my collection.
I am still on the hunt for a Suffragette hat pin.
For those not familiar with the Suffragette movement,
these ladies marched to gain the right for woman to vote.
They used the colors of gold, green and purple to
distinguish themselves for their cause.
Please exercise your right to vote, so that their
efforts were not done in vain.  



Finally I could not pass up on this Ochre salt glaze pitcher.
The color is amazing and will go with my new color scheme
that I have planned for our back room.
The detail on this is just incredible!
The elderly lady I purchased this from
knew I was an antique dealer.
She asked me what I was going to sell it for in my store.
When I told her I was keeping this beauty,
the look on her face was priceless....
she was so happy it was going to a nice home
where it would be appreciated.

I hope when our children sell our antiques,
that they will be passed down to those who
cherish them as much as we do....

Do you have cherished antiques in your home?

Cherished Antique Blessings To All!
Janice

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, that hair curler does look dangerous! LOL!! I wonder how many women and girls ended up burning their hair in the process? Your new pitcher is a lovely fall color and I hope you will use it in one of your cupboard scapes so we can all see it. Yes, we have own some antiques and we often kid how our kids are going to have a big garage sale to get rid of them.LOL!! Whatever the case, I hope most items will end up in the hands of those who love vintage things and hopefully will find some affordable "finds", like we did in the early days, to begin to fill their homes with antiques they love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning, wow!!! That is one crazy curling iron. Love the pitcher, so pretty, also great hat pins too.Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't worry that my things won't have a home with my kids, but after that????? I think I have a crimper somewhere and lots of shoemaker stuff that I have no idea about.I am glad you love your things, they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.