Thursday, April 5, 2012

Oh The Stories They Could Tell

For those of you who have been following my blog long enough
know that I simply love quilts.

I wish they could tell me their stories.

What fine lady lovingly made them?


Were they created as a gift to someone else? 


Were they made out of necessity?


What previous used clothes were used to make them?


How did they decide on a pattern?

Back in the 1800's to the even the mid 1900's,
ladies did not have the luxury of driving to a fabric store.
Even my own grandmothers used old worn out clothes
or feed sack material
to create wonderfully patterned quilts.
Most were hand sewn
 or if you were lucky enough on a treadle sewing machine.
Most quilts were made out of necessity
not for display.
There are both Summer and heavier Winter Quilts.
Can you tell I love these old beauties!

These were also some of the goodies I found
on our mini jaunt last Saturday.
Absolutely love em!

I think these were a great find!
What do you think?

Since tomorrow is Good Friday
and I have to get things ready at my home
for Easter dinner,
there will be no Friday Fun Facts.

Easter Blessings to all!
Janice 




8 comments:

  1. Yep! You know I'm a quilt lover, too. There is nothing cozier! Happy Easter to you and Bob!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Janice,I`m with you on quilts,love them so. You really found some beauties,I also would love to hear their stories. Absoloutly one of my favorite things,good olde quilts. I can`t help myself from buying one when I see them,there is always room for one more quilt!!! Easter Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fellow quilt lover here! These are all so beautiful Janice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janice, I love, love quilts and and old pieces of quilts.
    I love yours. They are beautiful.
    Have a wonderful Easter.
    Spring Blessings,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful quilts...love the polka dot fabric on the second one! Happy Easter!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful find ~ so Beautiful Janice!!!
    Boo~Hoo no fun facts for today ~ Looking forward to next Friday!!!
    Hope you have a wonderful Easter and you find some wonderful surprises in your basket!
    Prim Blessings
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your quilts Janice! I love the stories of quilts being used as "maps" for the underground railroad. What a history! Have a wonderful Easter weekend ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful quilts, Janice.... Yup, I love them too. That last one is absolutely beautiful! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for reading my blog! I especially enjoy reading your comments.